[ 024 ] not all monsters

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR !

[ season two, episode twelve & thirteen ]

Sage's pathway back to the farm had been obscured by darkness.

Shards of moonlight flickered through the canvas of trees. Her shoes pounded against the ground as she continued running. She was starting get tired ── so, so tired. The heaviness in her heart was in conflict with the pain stabbing at every element of her flesh. Blood trickled from the deep cut in her finger, and small welts and bruises were flaring up on her exposed arms from all the brambles she had desperately thrashed through.

Despite this, Sage pushed her body to the limits. She kept running.

She had no idea where she was going.

Where she was headed.

Anywhere but into the hands of Shane Walsh.

Keep going!

A strangled breath slithered over her chapped lips. Her lungs were gasping for oxygen. The silence thudding in her ears was overwhelming ── overbearing.

She was supposed to use her eyes as a method of hearing. But in the depths of the woods at night, it was no use.

At that point, Sage was practically running into death's callous embrace.

If she didn't find the farm soon, she was going to end up just like Sophia. Gnarled and rotten and snarling ── all because she was too young to handle herself out in this world.

All because she was abnormal.

Run!

She couldn't.

Her steps were slowing. Every breath that clambered up her airways was shallow, desperate.

She couldn't do it.

The ghoulish night was pressing in on her from all sides. Darkness encasing her. A man who committed murder possibly pursuing her.

With that thought, Sage turned on the heel of her foot and gawped around at her surroundings.

She almost collapsed in relief.

There was an opening at the crest of a steep slope up ahead. The trees had parted ── pushing away from one another to create an entrance to the farmland. The acres of field. Greene land.