Chapter 8

"You're joking" My voice raises an octave in surprise, making shoppers around us glance our way.

"No, I'm not. You've got no plan and nowhere to go, so it's safe to assume you'll be staying in the cabin for a while. You need to have appropriate clothing and such." He pushes, staring me down.

"I don't have any way to pay you back though" I whisper back, not wanting to draw attention like before.

"Adeline, I live in the middle of a forest and rarely have to use my money. I've got more than enough, I'll be glad it's put towards something meaningful and not burning a hole in my pocket." He replies, keeping the same volume he has the whole conversation. I look him in the eye with shock that he's so willing to waste his money on me.

I don't argue back, simply turn back around beside Kyran and push back the tears. Not having received anything brand new since I was a kid, this feels like a huge deal for me.

"Just keep in mind you'll probably gain some weight so grab a size or two above what fits." He reminds me as we arrive in the women's clothing section. I nod in reply and look around at all the beautiful clothes. Kyran beelines towards the thermal clothes, puffer jackets and general winter wear. I stay within the same aisle, looking at different clothing options.

I wasn't sure what I would need, not having bought this stuff for myself before. Instead of bothering Kyran, who looks very invested in the growing pile of clothes in the trolley. I instead opt to pick out whatever I think looks pretty. Happily content with the few pieces of clothing in my arms.

I shadow Kyran for a while longer, waiting for him to finish his search for what he deems to be necessities. We find our way to the dressing room not long after.

"I'll be right out here if you need me okay, you'll be safe." He says as he pushes me into the change room with all the clothes. Seemingly picking up on my uncertain glances his way.

I tentatively lock the door behind me. Having to go back twice just to be sure it is locked. I scan my eyes around the smallish box I'm standing in, looking for anything that seems out of place.

Seemingly happy with everything, I undress myself to try on some of the clothes I picked out first. I turn to face the mirror when I've dressed myself, a huge smile making its way on my face as I look over the unfamiliar figure in front of me.

My blond hair framing my face and the slightly loose clothing makes me look like a casual, normal person. I hastily try on other pieces of clothes in excitement, only getting halfway through the pile before calling it quits. My arm gave me too much grief to continue.

I exit the dressing room with a small smile on my face and excitement flowing out of me.

"Thank you so much Kyran, they're so beautiful." I say to him with a smile when I look his way. He just stares at my face for a moment, before nodding his head slightly. He points for me to put the clothes back in the trolley and I do as he says.

We travel around the shop for a while afterwards. Picking out other necessities like shoes and toiletries. By the end of it all, I think I could collapse from the day that it's been.

"How about we go to the chemist and put in that prescription. While we wait, we can grab a coffee with lunch or something." He asks as he finishes up paying for the shopping spree we went on.

I scrunch my nose up at his suggestion of coffee. Having stolen a sip of it once at my godparents, the beating I received from that will never make coffee appealing ever again.

"Is it okay if I have water instead?" I meekly ask him, not wanting to offend him for turning down his suggestion. Instead, he just chuckles and looks my way with a smile.