[chapter fourty two] the 'lucky' one

✧∘* ೃ ⋆。˚.

Aires pov...

I felt my heart slowly beat in my chest as my eyes gently fluttered open. I came face to face with the blinding hospital light that hung above me.

It hurt to move, to see, to breathe.

"Oh my god." Someone whispered from beside me whilst I forced my eyes to gain focus.

The silhouette of people against the wall was the only way I could work out who was in a room with me, and even then I didn't completely trust my senses.

The last thing I remembered was the explosion, the deafening roar of the bomb going off, the silence that followed after it, and the ringing sensation I had been hearing ever since.

"What happened?" I choked out in a hoarse gargle.

"You were pronounced dead for ten minutes." Allison whispered as she slowly walked towards me.

Oh my God. People thought I was dead. 

I was dead.

Once again I had somehow escaped death, but only slightly.

"Wait- If I died then- then that means I'm in transition. I'm gonna be a-" I couldn't even finish the words, the bitter bile that rose in the back of my throat stole my words. 

"No, sweetheart. You're still human." Melissa whispered as she gently laced her hand with mine.

"Are you sure? Because-"

"I'm one hundred percent positive. You still have a functioning heart beat."

Relief immediately flooded me as I allowed my eyes to flutter close. I didn't want to be a heretic, to crave blood, to have to live on it. I had done it once and could never do it again. If I ever became a heretic I would have to follow through with my plan, the one that really did end my life for good.

I gave the task to Klaus, he was the only one who would respect my wishes. I wouldn't complete the translation and therefore would start to slip into a coma, one that could only bring me back with blood. I wouldn't be dead but it would be close enough. Klaus would retrieve my body and lock it in the Mikaelson compound, keep in his sight.

I would still be alive, my subconscious would still work. I would dream and think but my physical body wouldn't work. It would be the closest thing to death I would ever be able to get.

There were no loopholes, at least none that I had discovered.

It wasn't until that moment that I realised just how relieved I was.

"You escaped that path, barely but miraculously."

"How?" I whispered.

"I have no clue. You got lucky, extremely lucky."

I didn't feel lucky.

I was just seconds of way from becoming a heretic, to turning into the monster I dreaded. One more slip up and everything could be ripped away from me, I was playing with death.

"What's the report on my body?"

"A few broken ribs, loss of hearing in one ear, a concussion, bruised lungs, minor spinal damage, dizziness, nausea, uncontrollable shaking and definitely PTSD. You also have several cuts all over your body, those are quite minor however they are gonna be a huge pain in the ass."