Chapter 10 - return to Omashu

- Third POV -

A bold red flag bearing the Fire Nation insignia is proudly hung as gray plumes of smoke fill the air surrounding the fallen city.

"I can't believe it. I know the war has spread far, but Omashu always seemed...untouchable" Says Aang in a sorrowful tone.

"Up until now it was. Now Ba Sing Se is the only great Earth Kingdom stronghold left" States Sokka as he crosses his arms and looks at the city.

"This is horrible, but we have to move on" Sighs Katara.

"No, I'm going in to find Bumi" Aang looks at the city with a determined expression written over his face.

"Aang, stop. We don't even know if Bumi's still..." Mizuki reaches out to Aang, but pauses and looks at the ground, not wanting to finish her sentence.

"What? If he's still what?" Snaps Aang while Mizuki gulps nervously.

"Around" Replies Sokka while stepping in front of Mizuki. Aang looks away saddened.

"We know you had your heart set on Bumi, but there are other people who can teach you earthbending" Reassures Katara.

"This isn't about finding a teacher. This is about finding my friend" Answers Aang.

❀❀❀

Team Avatar is below Omashu's gate. Aang is attempting to open the entrance to a secret tunnel.

"A secret passage? Why didn't we just use this last time?" Asks Sokka as Aang opens the tunnel, revealing it to be filled with sewage.

"Ugh!" Grunts Sokka while covering his nose.

"Does that answer your question?" Retorts Aang.

"Eww!" The group proceeds to enter the tunnel to the inside of Omashu. Aang conjures an air ball with his staff to clear the path while Katara and Mizuki use their waterbending to maneuver the sewage carefully around them. Sokka, on the other hand, is continually soaked in the foul substance. Mizuki notices this and offers him her hand, pulling him closer.

"Thanks" Mutters Sokka as he coughs out some water. Mizuki continues to maneuver the sewage carefully around her and Sokka until they reach the end of the tunnel.

"That wasn't as bad as I thought" Points out Katara. She notices that her brother is partially covered in slime from the sewage. Katara spots water nearby and splashes Sokka with it using waterbending to wash off the sewage followed by Aang who uses airbending to dry him off.

"I'll go check the area with Katara for any soldiers, you guys stay here" Whispers Aang before walking away with Katara. Mizuki looks at Sokka, and notices a small purple creature attached to his neck.

"Sokka, you have a pentapus on your neck" Mentions Mizuki. Upon hearing this, Sokka immediately tries to remove the pentapus.

"Ahh! It won't let go! Help!" Panics Sokka as he tries to yank the pentapus off.

"Shh! Stop making so much noise. It's just a purple pentapus" Whispers Mizuki as she removes the pentapus by lightly rubbing its head. Sokka rubs the spot where the creature was attached until several guards suddenly approach them.

"Hey! What are you kids doing out past curfew?" Scolds a guard.

"Sorry. We were just on our way home" Apologizes Mizuki as she and Sokka turn around to walk away. One of the guards notice the red marks on Sokka's neck.

"Wait, what's the matter with him?" Asks the soldier confused.

"It kind of looks like a hickey" Whispers a soldier, causing Mizuki and Sokka to blush furiously.

"N-NO! He's sick. You see, he has pentapox, sir" Exclaims Mizuki while the guards approach the duo.

"You know, I was a teenager once too" Chuckles the soldier.

"I'm telling the truth! It's highly contagious" Continues Mizuki as she elbows Sokka.

"Oh, it's so awful. I'm dying" Exaggerates Sokka.

"And, uh...deadly" Says Mizuki.

"Hey, I think I heard of pentapox! Didn't your cousin Chang die of it?" Panics one of the soldiers. Upon hearing this, Sokka and Mizuki share a confused glance while the soldiers look at Sokka worriedly.

"We'd better go wash our hands, and burn our clothes!" Shouts a soldier before running away along with the others.

"Thank goodness" Sighs Mizuki relieved.

"Do the red spots really look like a hickey?" Asks Sokka slightly embarrassed.

"Not at all, it are just a few tiny red dots. But maybe it looks like a red mark from far away. Besides, it's already dark outside. But if I'm being honest...that guy probably needs glasses" Says Mizuki.

"Guys! We're back" Whispers Aang as he and Katara approach Sokka and Mizuki.

"There's only a small group of soldiers who is patrolling this area, five at max. We should be fine" Informs Katara.

"Yeah, we kinda just came across them" Replies Sokka sheepisly.

❀❀❀

Azula is talking to her assistants, Li and Lo.

"When tracking your brother and uncle, traveling with the royal procession may no longer be an option" Informs Li.

"May no longer be wise" Says Lo.

"If you hope to keep the element of surprise" Finishes Li.

"You're right. The Royal Procession is dead weight. If I want to catch my prey, I must be agile, nimble. I need a small, elite team. It's time to visit some old friends" States Azula.

❀❀❀

Team Avatar is sneaking around Omashu, they hide behind some metal bars used for construction as a patrol passes.

"Let's find Bumi and get out of here" Whispers Mizuki.

"Where would they be keeping him?" Asks Sokka.

"Somewhere he can't earthbend. Somewhere made of metal" States Aang as he continues to sneak around with his friends. Not to far away, there's a teenager walking next to an older woman who's carrying a baby. They seem to be related. The girl has black hair and an emotionless facial expression. The woman and girl are being escorted by two Fire Nation guards.

"There really is no fathoming the depths of my hatred for this place" Sighs the girl.

"Mai, your father was appointed governor. We're like royalty here. Be happy and enjoy it" Scolds the women while Mai looks away in dismay.

"The targets are approaching" Whispers a man as he looks up at some rocks that are ready to be pushed down one of Omashu's mail delivery chutes which ends near where Mai's walking.

"Take them out" Whispers a resistance fighter back. He watches Mai and her mother walking, there's no doubt that's the governor's wife and children. I will take back my city someday!

"I thought my life was boring in the Fire Nation, but this place is unbearably bleak. Nothing ever happens" Says Mai in a dull tone as the resistance fighter pushes the rocks down the chute with the use of earthbending. Team Avatar happens to walk by and see the rocks crumbling down at high speed. Aang quickly raises his staff and pulverizes the rock with a blast of air as it passes. Mai, her mother, and the Fire Nation guards are alerted by the sound and look up to see what caused it. Mai squints her eyes to make out who is standing above her, she recognizes two figures.

To be continued

Word count: 1.142