🍭 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟 🍭

This ain't even proofread that well LMAO

Jailen

I was familiar with this place. When I worked here, I was the assistant supervisor, so I was practically running around everywhere. But, I never once stepped foot in the ballroom. The company I worked for had set everything up in the cafeteria that was right next to the ballroom and everyone had to come there. We weren't allowed in there under any circumstances.

Harry's arm was wrapped tightly around my waist and he held me close to his body as we walked up the carpeted stairs. He ignored the cameras but kept a subtle smirk on his face as I kept my head down as much as possible. My hands remained in front of me, my nails digging into my purse and my head starting to throb from the lights. It was really bright.

The hallway was quieter than outside when we walked in. I could see the door to the ballroom just up ahead and I stopped, my heart skipping a couple of beats as I thought about how many people were just behind that door.

I tried to pull my hand away from Harry's but he just tightened his hold and turned to look at me. I took a step back on instinct, glancing up at him as he waited for me to explain why I wanted him to let go of my hand, "I-... I'm going to the bathroom."

I looked around, catching the eyes of a couple that was about to walk into the ballroom. The woman leaned back and whispered something to her partner, who then turned to look at me with a raised eyebrow. I licked my lips and cleared my throat as I turned back to Harry.

"What's wrong?" He asked, his eyes flicking over to where I was just looking but the couple had already entered the ballroom.

I shook my head and tugged my hand again, "Nothing. I just need a minute."

"For what?" He questioned.

I frowned, my heartbeat quickening again. I snatched my hand from him and took a deep breath, "I have- I just have to go to the bathroom. Go, I'll find you."

I walked away before he could respond but I could feel his eyes on me the entire time until I turned the corner. Then I slowed down, taking my time as I tried to remember where the bathroom was. I sighed heavily as I tried to calm my breathing. I turned a couple of corners until I wandered into a familiar hall. I grunted as I pushed the door open, feeling weak from my panic attack.

My ears peaked at the elevator music playing in the bathroom and I shook my head as I made my way to the end of the row of stalls. I stepped inside and shut the door behind me, making sure it was locked before sitting down on the toilet. I sat my purse on the toilet paper dispenser and sighed, closing my eyes and leaning my elbows on my knees.

What was I doing here? I thought back to try and figure out what led to me being at this damn ball, being quiet and looking pretty for the playboy billionaire, in this damn bathroom trying to come down from a panic attack. I should've taken the damn stairs.

I picked at the hem of my dress, trying to get my hands to stop shaking. But I froze when I heard the bathroom door open. Voices filled the air and I held my breath to try and make them out.

"Yeah, no he's here," one of the voices spoke, "Did you see who he brought with him? He never brings anyone."

I tilted my head and pulled my feet back as much as I could so that they wouldn't have any chance of knowing I was here. It wasn't hard to figure out who she was talking about.

The other one scoffed, "Please, I hope she doesn't get used to it. Everyone knows this is another one of his plays, it's just until he gets bored."

I couldn't help the way my stomach twisted at their words. Of course, I knew this arrangement wasn't permanent, but hearing the way they talked about him didn't make me feel good. I should leave. I should go find Harry and enjoy the party, but I just couldn't bring myself to stand up and leave the stall.

"Have you seen the pictures of them?"

My veins ran cold and I swallowed harshly. Leave, Jailen.

"Everyone has. She's a whore." One of them chuckled, "You saw how happy she looked on that motorcycle. Who would be proud of something like that?"

"Women get with Harry and think they have nothing to be ashamed of, when just being seen with him is more than enough to be ashamed of. Who knows how many people he's slept with."

I inhaled sharply and they continued.

"She knows what she signed up for. Everyone knows Harry and his reputation. If she wants to be another hole in his belt, I don't feel sorry for her. No one felt sorry for me."

I blinked in disbelief as they changed the subject, but it lingered with me. Their words echoed in my head and I sat up straight. This shouldn't shock me, Harry wasn't called the playboy billionaire for no reason but to hear them say it made me feel weird. Bitterness and jealousy laced in their tone and I couldn't help but chuckle.

I needed to get this night over with. I stood up and flushed the toilet to get their attention. They fell silent and I unlocked the stall. I grabbed my purse off of the toilet dispenser and walked out. Their heads snapped over to me as I stood beside them at the sink. I washed my hands, feeling the suffocating tension and unspoken hatred as they stared at me.

I cleared my throat and grabbed a few paper towels to dry my hands. But before I left from in front of the mirror, I locked eyes with them and smiled, "Y'all enjoying the ball so far?"

One of them tilted their head and the other frowned. I twisted my lips to the side and hummed. I walked behind them to throw my paper towel away. Their eyes followed me and I chuckled at the small burst of confidence in my belly.

"Well, I'll see you guys around, yeah?" I blinked at them as I pulled the door open. When they didn't respond, I shrugged and walked out of the bathroom.

I squared my shoulders as I made my way down the hall, quickly finding the ballroom. I took another deep breath as I approached the doors. I was thankful that the hallway was empty, it gave me time to get myself together considering I didn't have time to in the bathroom. I brushed my hair off of my face and pulled the door open.

I kept my hands down at my side as I scanned the room for Harry. I felt the eyes on me, even over the loud music, I still felt as if I could hear the whispers. The room was beautiful. Decorated elegantly. There was a set of stairs in the back, sort of like the ones Harry had in his house but I didn't have time to take it in as I spotted Harry standing at the top.

His eyes were already focused on me, his hand wrapped tightly around the railing as he stared down at me. Anne appeared at his side and she grinned, waving me over. I cleared my throat and kept my head down as I maneuvered through the crowd. It felt like forever before I reached the stairs. I held onto the railing as I climbed the stairs and from the corner of my eye, I could see Harry move.

He walked down the stairs quickly, meeting me in the middle with a teasing smirk on his face, "You alright, sweetie? You're not gonna yell at me again, are you?" He whispered when he was close enough.

I rolled my eyes, smiling when he reached his hand out to touch my waist, "I might, don't play with me tonight."

Harry hummed and chuckled, opening his mouth to respond but Anne cut him off.

"Thank you all for joining my family tonight! The Beginning of Summer Ball can now begin!" She announced, her eyes focused on Harry and me, "Please, eat, drink, mingle! Have a great time!"

The volume of the music increased and I looked up at Harry. He raised an eyebrow, "Come on, my mom's been asking about you since I got here."