surprisings; 1.04

Later that afternoon, when the girl walked into her art class, her stomach was filled with hyperactive butterflies as she remembered the boys words. They left her twisting a dark curl nervously around her delicate fingers.

As she dropped her backpack by her desk and went over to start collecting the paint she needed (before everyone else crowded around her and blocked her in) she felt a tap on her shoulder. She flinched visibly and turned slowly to find the boy staring down at her with a smile hinting at his lips.

"Hey." He greeted her softly, reaching over her to grab a jar of dark blue paint. "I'm sorry if I startled you."

"Hi," She whispered back, her eyes flittering from his face to down at her own hands. "It's alright, though. A-about the startling thing. I mean I'm jumpy a lot and... And I should shut my mouth before I speak more words than a dictionary has, sorry."

She spun around to continue collecting her paint, embarrassed at how she practically vomited words. She felt even more so, when she heard the somewhat familiar laughter of Rosy Cheeks. Her hand shook slightly as she unscrewed the cap to a paint jar.

"You don't have to apologize for being shy," He mumbled as he reached over her again. "By the way, you have a little paint on your sleeve."

He poked her right arm and the girl blushed deeply, then twisted her arm abruptly to find a smear of yellow on her black sweatshirt. She sighed and scrubbed at it gently with a paper towel that was resting on the counter, only making it worse.

"Damn it." She muttered, blushing deeper when she looked up to find the boy staring at her with a surprised look upon his face. "W-What?

After a few moments of silence, that were shattered by the loud voices of their arriving pears, she blinked rapidly a few times and gave the boy with furrowed eyebrows a shrug.

"I guess there's a lot you don't know about me yet?" She said sheepishly, grabbing a paintbrush and her palette. 

She didn't know it, but as she walked back to her seat and arranged her work station the same way she always did, he was staring at her with lopsided grin and curious brown eyes. And he continued to so every so often as he worked at his own painting, admiring the girl who seemed so shy.

_______

Bella's note: I really am not enjoying this chapter but I can't seem to make one I like. Sorry about waiting a few days more than usual to update, I've had a really rough past few days. I hope every one of you is feeling  well and had /are having good things happen to them!
As always, feel free to comment/vote!

- Arabella :-)xx