[ 025 ] we're all infected

HEART OF GLASS
CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE !

[ season two, episode thirteen ]FINALE

FINALE

Morning had broke.

Marley was sitting on the back of Daryl's motorcycle, eyes heavy with fatigue and suppressed tears. They had been driving for the most part of the night ── rolling over discarded debris, past road collisions and stumbling walkers. Eventually, they found the rest of the group travelling along the road in their cars, and it was with them that they made their way back to the highway.

Likelihood was, everyone else who broke away from the chaos of the farm would use it as a first checkpoint.

Daryl's bike grumbled. At last, they made it past all the winding roads, through the dark woods, and were back on track to what they hoped to be a reunion.

A blast to the past.

The highway looked exactly the same as it did when they left ── after Carl was shot, when Sophia went missing, when everything was false hope and tragic narratives. Cars were strung along the long, wide road, and lost possessions were strewn out across the asphalt. Right on the edge, next to the metal barrier, the car with the words 'Sophia, stay here. We will come every day' were scrawled over the front window in faded white chalk.

It was sad to look at it.

And even more sad to think Sage was in the same position as Sophia before they found her rotten corpse.

Marley shook her head.

Faith. Hope. Trust. Faith. Hope. Trust.

The same words rang through her head over and over again. Like clockwork, she reminded herself of the goodness in the group. The golden hearts ── the fact they wouldn't hesitate to save Sage in a moment of true vulnerability.

She reminded herself of this as they pulled to a stop beside the endless row of cars.

At first, Marley was completely unaware. She stared around at the convoy lined up behind the bike, waiting for Sage to suddenly spring out from a car. She waited. And waited. But the moment never came.

She turned. Tears welled in her eyes when she saw Maggie throw her arms around Hershel, and then Beth.

Lori rushed toward Carl, crying out in joy. They had been on the highway since early morning, it seemed.