Jessica's Pov (28)

This place filled with smoke, sweaty people, and loud music used to be my solace. A place where I came to hide from my demons.

Demons that wouldn't let me sleep at night, every noise in my ear, every turn I made on a lonely path scared me. It's the thought that they might be on my trail. It seemed my fate was sealed with them.

Terri, where is Terri when I needed him most?... I had many dependencies but he's my greatest. He was the only one there for me when it all started when I thought I'd end it.

He introduced me to cannabis and sex. And I'll forever be grateful to him for that, but now I need something to get me there.

Landon and I have been in a bad place for weeks now. He's been giving me the cold shoulder since after the party.
I don't understand what went wrong, but I'm scared to ask, I'm scared he already knows what I am. A piece of shit from the slums, putting on a mask of beauty just to belong.

I don't belong with him, but he's the only one that can make me feel important, confident, and impeccable.
It's how I felt when we were in our happiest times. I didn't need Terri anymore, his sex and drugs weren't working for me suddenly because I had Landon.

I used to stand in the mirror and be happy with the image before me. When I see his name in my call log I usually feel like I'm floating in a fantasy of emotions. He became my hope, a reason to look forward to each day.

But every addict has her withdrawals, that night at Florida's party was one, an event I abhorred so much in my mind. Whatever brought Kenny into our room that night must've been working hand in hand with my demons to wreck me.

I had a hunch it's why Landon has been so distant and unconcerned but Kenny would never snitch on me, I guess.

My head's messed up and I need to make it stop.

"Hey Idris, have you seen Terri around today?" I ask the young bartender wiping the counter.

"Ooi he left a while ago, not sure where to though"

I rack my brain on where he's gonna be at the moment but came up with nothing.

"Did he leave you with some of his products?" I ask desperately.

"Just some for listed customers and your name's not included"

"Oh no Idris, don't be like that. I'll give you double the price, just lemme have some. I don't wanna be miserable today, okay?"

"I'm sorry babe, he's on a tight budget now and I can't be caught in between."

"Idris!... Id_" he walks away into the inner room, leaving me in my misery.

***

At an open sit-out...

She's laughing mythically at something he said, unaware of how wrecked our lives are because of her presence. Because she wouldn't stick her nose in her business alone.

I want to rip her apart for being so pretentious, for being a snitch. Who told her she was more righteous than me? Because Landon could never fault her even if she told a lie.

"Kendal!!" I yell causing pairs of eyes to turn towards me.

I stumble on my way to her but she's quick to reach me.

"Jessica! I haven't seen you since the party. Where were you? I've been trying to know what's up but Landon seems unbothered about you. Did you guys fight again?" She says in full breath after we are in a quiet corner.

"Oh yeah? He told you we broke up right Kenny?... Did you rejoice in your heart when you heard the news?"

"What Jess, don't start again with your blames. He said absolutely nothing to me. This is the first time I'm hearing anything about you guys."

"Cut the crap Kenny, all of a sudden Landon is giving me the cold shoulder and it's right after the party! It only means you've said something to him, something about that night. Did you tell him about Terri and me?..." I cajole hoping she'll just stop lying to my face.

"So it's true then?..." She whispers in shock.

"Don't pretend like you didn't know!" I bark, hating that she's still acting like she doesn't know.

"Jess, I'm not gonna do this with you again, you know how it ended the last time. I can't believe you're at it again distrusting me as a friend. I should be the one yelling at you for cheating on your boyfriend!"

"Huh?... If that's your wish then yell! Yell Kenny, so everyone here will see the true you. Let them see the piece of shit you've always been, pretending to be unaware of everything. I can't believe I thought you were my friend"

"This is unbelievable" Kendal whispers.

"You know, I've always known you had something for Landon... I waited for you to come out with it for so long but when I saw you were never gonna be truthful to yourself I decided to take him for myself maybe it might finally push you to admit that you're mad over your bestie. But you know what I learned Kenny?... You're a fuckin nut job! So so timid that you can never get past what you already are because you'd rather let the darkness ruin you than speak about it_"

"Stop Jess" she whimpers.

But I didn't listen. "I read every message in your diary. If he ever gets the chance to read them he'd go crazy. I bet he'll despise you for life" I cackle finding it funny that she's gasping for breath at my confession. It fuelled my feelings to continue.

"Friends since diaper days with no strings attached? Only to realize it was never like that. To think that Yvy warned me about you from the start but I wouldn't listen. I wanted to give you a chance. A chance that cost me my relationship"

"J....jzzzzzz... Sh...shhhh" Kendal sloshes, rubbing her chest continually, within seconds she's on the floor dragging heavy noisy breaths. And ladies and gentlemen that's when I stopped talking.

Before I could scream, King-Cairo and some others are kneeling beside her.

"Someone get an inhaler!!!!" A voice yells startling me into action. I run with the rest in search of an inhaler but I take another route home. I can't go back there, what If she dies?...

I'm filled with fear. The need to smoke high disappears and all I can think of is to get home drown myself in a bath and sleep off.

>>{{{(•>

Hello readers, so what do you think of our Jess?

Don't forget to drop a vote