Chapter 28

After a long period of flying we were back on foot. We approached a large post board at the crossroad.

"This should give us a good idea of what's around here," Katara said reading the flier.

"See if you can find a menu, I'm starving," Sokka said realizing we were out of food.

"And water," I added taking the last bit I had left of my clean waterskin. Sokka approached me to ask for a drop of water, I shook my head, making him whine. I sighed.

"I bet we'll find something to eat here!" Aang said racing to the read the poster,"The fire days festival. Fire Nation cultural exhibits, jugglers, vendors, magicians. This would be a great place for me to study some real fire benders,"

"I don't know Aang,"I said pointing to the board on the other side,"It might not go as smoothly as you might hope,"

I ripped off the wanted poster of myself.

"Young water bender aiding the Avatar and the Blue Spirit. Distinguishable scar on her right arm," I crumpled it up before reading the rest, "Great Aang and I have a bounty on our heads,"

"Hey, a poster of me!" Aang said, ripping his off.

"A wanted poster," Sokka crossed his arms, "This is bad,"

"I think we better keep moving," Katara added

"I have to learn fire bending at some point and this could be my only chance to watch a master up close," Aang said.

"I guess we could go check it out," Katara said immediately agreeing to Aang.

"What?!" Sokka asked, the suggestion was a bit,, crazy,"You two actually wanna walk into a Fire Nation town when they're all fired up with all their, you know,,,fire."

"We'll wear disguises," Katara said optimistically,"And if it looks like trouble, we'll leave,"

"Yeah, because we always leave before we get into trouble," Sokka said mostly to me.

I sighed,"You know us arguing won't stop them from going," I said leading him back to Appa.

We left Appa and Momo at the top of the hill overlooking the village. We placed hoods over our clothes to covered our faces. Aang who didn't have a cloak pulled up the back of his shirt over his head.

"It's like you're a whole different person," Sokka said sarcastically, rolling his eyes.

We followed Aang into the village. Fireworks popped in the sky as children ran around laughing with sparkler sticks. Although everyone around us wore a mask.

"I think we need some new disguises," Katara suggested.

"Where are we gonna get masks like that?" Sokka asked.

"Get your genuine fire festival masks here!" A vendor announced.

"Right here," I said approaching the vendor.

"I recommend this one right here," The vendor said, holding out a teal blue mask.

I grabbed the mask from his hands and placed it over my head, it covered half my face but it was pretty and no one would recognize me.

The man observed me, I got worried that he recognized me from the wanted poster,"Have you ever tried auditioning for the Dragon Empress?" He asked.

"Hm," I said confused as Katara approached us.

The vendor quickly averted his attention to Katara handing her three more masks.

Katara had one that of a lady, Sokka had a blue one with a large smile, and Aang a red one with a sad expression. Katara switched the two masks making me stifle a laugh as we moved on with our venture though the festivities.