Chapter 11 - resistance fighters

- Third POV -

"I thought my life was boring in the Fire Nation, but this place is unbearably bleak. Nothing ever happens" Says Mai in a dull tone as the resistance fighter pushes the rocks down the chute with the use of earthbending. Team Avatar happens to walk by and sees the rocks crumbling down at high speed. Aang quickly raises his staff and pulverizes the rocks with a blast of air as it passes. Mai, her mother, and the Fire Nation guards are alerted by the sound and look up to see what caused it. Mai squints her eyes to make out who is standing above her and manages to recognize two figures.

"The resistance!" Exclaims Mai's mother while pointing at Aang. Mai begins to slightly smile, being amused by the current situation. She throws a few tiny arrows at Aang, who quickly jumps up, avoiding the arrows which bury themselves in the stack of construction material Aang lands on. Team Avatar runs away as the two Fire Nation are climbing up ladders to get to them. Katara quickly turns around and uses the water from her pouch to form a water whip and send the two guards flying off into the deep.

As the soldiers fall, Mai manages to reach the top. She runs towards Katara, stretches out her right hand, and sends a few arrows flying towards Katara. Katara raises a shield of ice to protect herself as the arrows embed themselves in it. Mai keeps charging at Katara, who runs away. Mai jumps over the icy wall in hot pursuit of Katara. At the end of the street, Aang, Mizuki and Sokka await Katara. Mizuki lets her pass as she waits for Mai to approach them. With a spinning sweep of wind, she causes some of the construction scaffolding to collapse. The moment Mai sees the scaffolding collapse, she stops in her tracks and directs a throwing star right at Mizuki. Aang twirls his staff in front of Mizuki and catches the flying star with it.

"Thanks" Says Mizuki as Mai begins to throw more arrows at them until the ground beneath Team Avatar suddenly opens up, making the teenagers disappear. Mai looks at the place where her targets disappeared, letting out a deep sigh. She turns around and walks away. Team Avatar had fallen through a hole that was created by earthbending. Aang and Sokka are rubbing their heads in pain while Mizuki and Katara look around a bit disorientated. Green sewage waste drips from the ceiling as a group of people look at the teenagers.

❀❀❀

Azula is walking around a few circus tents as she watches some people work. Not to far away she spots a girl standing on her hands. In fact, she's standing on her index fingers. The girl smiles the moment she sees Azula.

"Ty Lee, could that possibly be you?" Says Azula.

"Azula!" Beams Ty Lee as she flips from her stance and spins around in a graceful twirl to bow down before Azula. After doing so she runs towards Azula and embraces her.

"It is so good to see you!" Grins Ty Lee.

"Please, don't let me interrupt your...whatever it is you were doing" Says Azula as she lets go of Ty Lee and raises her eyebrow in wonder. Ty Lee smiles as she does a back flip and ends up lying on her chest with one leg stretched out over her head and the other straight up.

"Tell me, what is the daughter of a nobleman doing here? Certainly our parents didn't send us to the Royal Fire Academy for Girls to end up in...places like this" Azula looks around at the circus, not understanding why her friend would want to spend her time here.

"I have a proposition for you" States Azula. Upon hearing this, Ty Lee stops smiling and gives Azula a curious look.

"I'm hunting a traitor. You remember my old fuddy-duddy uncle, don't you?" Says Azula casually as she looks at her nails.

"Oh yeah. He was so funny" Replies Ty Lee as she recalls her memory.

"I would be honored if you would join me on my mission" Informs Azula.

"Oh...I, uh...would love to" Mutters Ty Lee as she stands up.

"But the truth is, I'm really happy here. I mean, my aura has never been pinker!" Admits Ty Lee as she smiles sincerely.

"I'll take your word for it. Well, I wouldn't want you to give up the life you love just to please me" Replies Azula while raising her hand.

"Thank you, Azula" Ty Lee bows gratefully before she continues to stretch.

"Of course, before I leave, I'm going to catch your show" Mentions Azula before walking Ty Lee looks away with a worried expression written over her face.

"Uh, yeah...sure, uh of course" Shrieks Ty Lee.

❀❀❀

Back in Omashu, there's a group of people who have gathered in some sort of underground cave. Team Avatar is being led towards a room by a few men.

"So, is King Bumi with you guys? Is he leading the resistance?" Asks Aang.

"Of course not! The day of the invasion, we readied ourselves for battle. We were prepared to defend our city...to fight for our lives and for our freedom. But before we even had a chance, King Bumi surrendered" Informs the man as he balls his fists angrily. Team Avatar shares a concerned glance.

"The day of the invasion, I asked King Bumi what he wanted to do. He looked me in the eye and said..."

{flashback}

King Bumi and Yung are standing atop one of the city's walls, looking down while fire balls decorate the sky.

"I'm going to do...nothing!" Bumi begins to laugh and snort, much to Yung's confusion.

{end flashback}

"It doesn't matter now. Fighting the Fire Nation is the only path to freedom. And freedom is worth dying for" States Yung while Aang looks down upset.

"Actually there's another path to freedom. You could leave Omashu. You're directing all your energy to fight the Fire Nation. But you're outnumbered. You can't win. Now's the time to retreat, so you can live to fight another day" Informs Aang.

"You don't understand. They've taken our home, and we have to fight them at any cost!" Exclaims the man as he enters the room where the other resistance fighters are.

"I don't know, Yung, living to fight another day is startin' to sound pretty good to me" Admits a man.

"Yeah, I'm with the kid!" Exclaims someone else. Yung looks at all the people who have taken refuge under ground and now are living in the sewer tunnels while they whisper among themselves before looking back at Aang.

"Fine. But there's thousands of citizens that need to leave. How're we going to get them all out?" Asks Yung.

To be continued

Word count: 1.132