Chapter 43. What Kind of Sorcery is This?

"This..."

Lucilline was stunned. All of a sudden, Zephyratt propped his elbow onto the black-haired nobleman's head, ruffling his hair with satisfaction. "Just watch and learn."

The mahogany red-haired nobleman strode forward to the Head Priest.

The Staff of Curses held in his hand was much mightier, compared to the one that the Head Priest carried. It beamed a bright light of silver, almost completely blinding the Head Priest, who was still scrambling on the ground with fear.

"Have you ever expected retribution to fall unto you?" Zephyratt questioned.

His silver eyes were searing cold, with his gentlemanly appearance fading away, the facade breaking into small crumbles.

The Head Priest sweated. "Second Master of House Rubius... you needn't to get so serious. I was merely fulfilling my duties as the overseer of the Holy Church! I am a Head Priest...! I protect Lydia Kingdom from the demons... without me, you'll all be over...!"

Zephyratt tilted his head. A strand of mahogany red hair fell down, lightly brushing his forehead.

"We'll all be over? I think you've forgotten that there are humans in Lydia Kingdom who can kill demons... without the subjugation of your God."

This sentence seemed to bite away the Head Priest's last hope.

He screamed, "I AM JUST FOLLOWING IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF OUR ANCESTORS! Why won't you understand!?! I am doing this all for the greater good...!"

His last sentence had struck something in the male lead. Azalea's amethyst purple eyes widened. From the broken glass ceiling, slivers of wind tousled through his lily white hair, sending small strands to brush into his illuminated eyes.

The moon that night was bright, but also sorrowful.

Azalea lowered his sword. To the Head Priest, righteousness is to use others for his own good. For me, righteousness is...

He couldn't finish his last thought.

It wasn't because someone interrupted him—no, he just couldn't answer himself. What is righteousness to me? To hurt others is not right. But... I've hurt people before. I ended up hurting mother... I ended up hurting sister... I ended up hurting demons... So what punishment should I convict myself of?

Azalea felt his mind twinge in pain. He clasped a hand over an eye.

"I'll begin now." Zephyratt deadpanned.

He spun the staff, leaving behind only a vague silver shadow. All of a sudden, he slammed the staff down onto the ground, sending the ground into a soft tremor. The sound of metal clashing against the floor had created a loud noise, but left the entire Church in utter silence.

Zephyratt didn't say anything else after that.

The Staff of Curses emitted a soft glow, drawing everyone's sight to it. The light didn't seem like much, but it began twisting in the air, taking form of actual movement.

The light gradually floated before the Head Priest, pausing in front of him, as if examining every detail. Then, it dashed into the old man, striking him right in the chest... before passing right out from his slouching back, bursting into a flower of flames.

In an instant, the priestess gasped.

She felt as if something was lifted off of her chest, as if her shackles had just been broken at that very moment...!

"I... am I free?" Tears welled in her eyes.

A smile slowly fell onto her lips, and she cried with gratitude. The priestess kowtowed at Zephyratt's feet, knocking her forehead onto the Church's floor.