89

Lillian's pov

I wanted to continue my conversation with Stefani, I know she has more to say on how she feels. We're just in public is all.

Even if she were to have a round at me by the refreshments table, it would defeat the purpose of us having a shaky relationship.

Us 'arguing' expressively in public will only draw more attention to the unsettled dispute of me marrying kent and the worst to come is the assumption of her being jealous of Kent- I know it's a stretch but it still serves as a possibility.

I took a deep breath realizing what I was doing back stage with a bouquet of Lillie's- how cliche can I be? Lillies from a woman named Lillian?

I wander across the dimmed lighting backstage.

It's a lot busier than I imagined, people are running left and right. I can barely hear myself think there's so much going on. Stage directors are still communicating and flipping through their scripts with their clipboards, some even tablets. The amount of murmuring and chattering is no different than ballroom- only difference is, everyone is doing something; whether it's changing clothes, touching up on makeup, making a phone call, making small requests.

People are coming in and out of dressing rooms.

Carter came from her dressing room. Her black dress glittered as her jewels draped down her shoulders and the make up was still intact despite the relentless work she put into her performance. I would've sweated.

Eleanora was walking towards me with a welcoming smile and I couldn't help but smile back.

"It's been a while my dear," we exchanged kisses on each side of our cheeks and gave a tight hug.

"Well, maybe two or three years but who's really counting?" She looked away jokingly and i playfully shove her.

"Actually, three. Carter turned 24 not that long ago," she smiled.

"It almost seems like last year I signed off on her being fully recovered," I sighed just reminiscing.

She really is a strong woman. She's always been strong and now it shows, the whole world can see what she brings to the table. I saw it when I first met her.

I thought she was odd but really, she sees things that no average being would see.

"Whats all this?" Carter approaches us with a tired smile but she had a genuine glimmer in her eye. It was just a breath of fresh air of somerthing and yet- distant.

"Well- i brought these for the conductor and concert master of tonight's main event for the fundraiser," I smiled as I held up the bouquet of flowers.

"Hmmmm," Carter examines the flowers carefully.

She even studied the stems and ran her finger down the petals.

"Carter, stop fucking with the woman's gift and thank her," Eleanora fought the urge to laugh but we all got caught up in the humor.

"How is the betrothed," Carter died down from laughing.

"He's making arrangements to meet my family for the first time," I eventually calmed down myself.

Her and Eleanora shared a brief glance and looked back at me waiting for a response...

"What?" I grew isolated from what's going on. I hardly know what's going on with these two together because they can just share a single glance and exchange thoughts. Their chemistry is beyond comprehension.

How the hell?..

"Lillian, I may not know the specifics but you can't be serious about him?" Eleanora scoffed in disbelief but it was rather a subtle scoff.