the bet

"She seriously called you stubborn?" asked Taehyung as he sipped his chamomile tea. He was finally feeling better, and since Jimin and Hoseok had a break for lunch, the three came to a little café near the Hope World studio.

The afternoon air was cool and crisp. Jimin preferred days like this. It was the perfect weather for sitting down with a hot drink and chatting with those whom you cherished most.

"Yeah, she did," Jimin chuckled. "I couldn't believe it."

"I could."

Jimin furrowed his brows. "What do you mean?"

"Well, you are stubborn," he answered. "You like the newbie, yet you won't ask him out."

He sighed. "Jungkook. His name is Jungkook. Stop calling him 'the newbie'."

"See? You're getting defensive. That means you like him."

"No, I'm just annoyed."

"Hyung, back me up on this," Taehyung insisted, nudging Hoseok.

"Sorry, Tae," said Hoseok, "but I've never seen them interact before. So I wouldn't know if Jimin liked him."

Taehyung sulked, bitterly biting into his croissant. As he was chewing the pastry, his eyes suddenly lit up. With his mouth full, he gave a garbled announcement. "I have a plan!"

"What is it?" Jimin wondered.

"You take the hip hop class he's in! Then, Hobi hyung will see that you're interested."

"Absolutely not."

"Oh, come on, Min. You know hip hop like the back of your hand."

"And?"

"And you'll get to spend more time with Jungkook."

"And me," Hoseok chimed in.

"Please don't encourage this," Jimin requested.

He shrugged. "I think it's actually a pretty good idea. I mean, you haven't taken one of my classes in ages. Don't wanna get rusty, do you?"

Jimin didn't respond.

"It'll be fun, Min," Hoseok continued, making him a promise. "We'll get to hang out and dance together like old times, and you'll have the opportunity to prove Tae wrong."

"Huh?" Taehyung piped up, his face twisted in confusion.

"I'll observe how Jimin and Jungkook interact with each other and see for myself if Jimin likes him."

Taehyung smirked. "Shall we make it a bet?"

Hoseok crossed his arms. "What kind of bet?"

"If you don't think Jimin likes him, then we both owe him fifty-thousand won. But if you see that Jimin does like him, he'll owe us fifty-thousand won. Each."

"I'll take that bet," he agreed.

"Whoa, wait," Jimin ordered. "I don't want you guys betting on my love life."

"Don't you want to be a hundred-thousand won richer though?" Taehyung queried.

"Alright, fine," Jimin finally acceded after thinking it over for a minute. "As long as I get to prove to you that I'm not into him, I'll take the bet."

Taehyung stretched his arm out across the table. "Let's shake on it then."

***

"I can't believe I'm doing this."

"Think about the money though," Hoseok disposed to Jimin.

"I'm in it for more than the money," he stated.

"You just wanna see Tae with his foot in his mouth, don't you?"

"Yup," Jimin nodded.

"Even though I determine the outcome of this bet, I want you to know that I'm not picking sides," Hoseok shared. "My friendship with the both of you won't play a part in it. I'll be completely unbiased."

He gave Hoseok a genuine smile. "I appreciate that, Hyung."

Hoseok's students began to file in for their evening hip hop class. Jungkook was among them, walking alongside Hyunwoo. The pair seemed to have become decent friends over the few weeks Jungkook has been a part of Hope World. Jimin noticed Saniderm wrap on Hyunwoo's forearm and wondered if Jungkook was the one who did his new tattoo.

"Jim—Mr. Park," Jungkook corrected himself, not wanting the others to know he had the special privilege of calling Jimin by his first name, "what're you doing here?"

"It's been a while since I've done hip hop. I don't wanna get rusty or anything," he quoted Hoseok from the other day.

"I didn't know you did different types of dance."

"Oh, I do all kinds," imparted Jimin. "Ballet, lyrical, pointe, contemporary, hip hop..." he listed off. "And a little clog."

Jungkook laughed. "Clog?"

"It's not my favorite," he chortled.

"You said you do ballet too. I thought you hated it."

"No, I said it wasn't my cup of tea," Jimin apprised. "I just prefer the freedom of contemporary. Ballet is a bit too structured for me."

"If I'm not graceful enough for contemporary, I'd hate to see myself in a ballet class," he chuckled.

A lightbulb went off for Jimin. "Actually...that gives me an idea."

Jungkook raised an eyebrow.

"You should take a ballet class," Jimin recommended. He sort of felt like Taehyung when he had suggested that Jimin take one of Hoseok's classes. "I think it would help with your lack of elegance."

"I can't," he shook his head. "I'd be too embarrassed being around all those experienced dancers. I already feel plenty of embarrassment in contemporary."

His words saddened Jimin. "You shouldn't feel embarrassed, Jungkook. You're still learning. Nobody is judging you in there. So please, don't judge yourself."

Jungkook flashed a small smile. "Thanks, Jimin. I'll try not to." No one was around them now; Hyunwoo had gone off to chat with another friend of his, so he was comfortable dropping some formality. "You really want me to take a ballet class though?"

"Yes," Jimin answered. "And don't worry. I won't put you in the intermediate or advanced class."

"Then what class is left?"

"The kiddie class."

"You can't be serious," Jungkook called his bluff.

"I am," Jimin replied in earnest. "Eunha's in that class, so you wouldn't be alone."

"Yeah, but I'd still be in the kiddie class."

"It's totally up to you. I just figured it'd be best to start with the very basics."

Jungkook exhaled a heavy sigh. He took what Jimin had to say into consideration. It would be embarrassing to dance with experienced people when he didn't know the first thing about ballet, yet he'd also be embarrassed dancing with literal children. However, if Jungkook wanted to make the contemporary team, he had to improve his skills. And he had to do it fast. Time was running out.

"If you really believe it'll help me," Jungkook began, "I'll do it."

"Great!" Jimin beamed.

"But I'm not wearing a tutu."