Chapter 31

Time passed uneventfully into the New Year. Prior to this, Yu Tu had sent Zhai Liang off, so when he returned home late at night every day, the place seemed even more deserted and cold.

But fortunately, he also had an assignment in January, to go to the desert on a work trip for a month.

It was a field test for a confidential model. Although their research institute was not in charge of the whole design of that model, he and Guan Zai were still involved in some of the important work. Currently it was at the field test stage, which also required someone from their institute to be present.

Yu Tu went back to his hometown before going there.

When the parents saw him back, they were very surprised. "You just came back in October. Why did you come back again?"

In October, once he began his extended leave, he had returned to his hometown. However he had only stayed to the fourth day before his parents started to worry. They felt that his break was too long. Did something happen?

At that time, he still had not made up his mind, so it had been better not to say anything to make his parents also feel worried. In order to prevent them from guessing randomly, he had been forced to pretend to return to work in Shanghai. In fact, he was actually wasting his time playing games all day long, which coincidentally led to running into Qiao Jing Jing.

Mrs Yu looked very well, but this first sentence she spoke at the beginning made Yu Tu feel sad. The time he spent with his parents was really too little.

"I have to go on a work trip right away for a month. I don't know if the signal over there is okay or not, so I came home to just have a look at you first."

Mrs Yu did not ask where he would be going and what he would be doing but just complained, "You should have informed us earlier." She also asked, "The Spring Festival (Chinese New Year) is later this year, so can you come back before the Spring Festival?"

"Yes."

Mr Yu looked at the time and said that he was going to go buy a couple of ready-made dishes, but was scolded by Mrs Yu. "The boy is back but you're only giving him pre-made food to eat. What kind of father are you?"

In the end, Mr Yu went and bought a chicken and fresh fish. When everything was cooked, it was already almost one o'clock. Yu Tu deliberately ate an extra bowl of rice. As expected, his parents looked happy.

After they finished lunch, he chatted with them for a while. Then Yu Tu returned to his room.

His room could not be considered big. It was north facing. He spent his entire youth here. After he was admitted to university, he seldom come back, so the room still looked like it had when he was in senior high school. Most of the books on the bookshelves were the ones he had studied from at that time. All kinds of trophies, from childhood to adulthood, were neatly and tidily exhibited in the cabinet.

He stood lost in thought for a moment, took out a book, and looked over it in front of the bookcase.

Mrs Yu came in to bring him some fruit. She glanced at him and said curiously, "Why are you looking through your senior high school textbook?"

"No, I'm not." Yu Tu was a little ill at ease when he closed the book and put it back on the bookshelf.

In fact, this time coming home, besides to visit his parents, there was also a peculiar emotion stirring in his heart. Recently, he would often inexplicably recall his high school days, over and over again, as if he wanted to dig out from those past memories something that he had overlooked before.

Sadly, there was very, very little.

He knew that this was very mawkish of him, yet he could not control himself. He glossed over it by asking, "Why are my senior high school books still here?"