31 - 𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚄𝚗𝚜𝚙𝚘𝚔𝚎𝚗

┌─────────❍─────────┐

"Hidden wounds can't be soothed by air,
Unacknowledged ones can't be healed by time."

└─────────❍─────────┘

One Month Later

Something was wrong with me.

I didn't know what it was.

I had so much I wanted to say, but my voice remained stuck on my throat, my words on the tip of my tongue. A heavy, lingering feeling on my chest was telling me to keep it to myself because my thoughts were nothing of importance.

There was something wrong with me and I didn't like it.

It seemed like a waste of time to talk about or even address. It should be something trivial since I couldn't even put it into words. It was just there.

The previous month was hell. Satoru took it upon himself to retrieve Yume's body and gave it a proper burial. I also stayed in Tokyo since returning to Kyoto would only remind me of Yume and I's first year together.

I kept myself busy training for my grade 1 assessment. I was, however, assigned as a potential special grade sorcerer because of the destruction I caused in the cult– with Yume's death ruled out as slaughter by a cult member.

"(F/n)-chan." A cheerful white-headed silhouette appeared from the corner of my sight. "I've decided, we're adopting!"

How could you look so okay?

My head panned in his direction. I gave him a tight-lipped smile. "Hm?"

Satoru sat beside me, snacking on some dates he snuck into my room. He took out one and offered it to me, bringing it to my lips. "Ahh."

I just shook my head and pushed his hand back to him in decline. I had no appetite. "What were you saying before that?"

"I said," he popped the dates in his mouth. "We're adopting. What'ya think? I met with a small spunky sea urchin and a cute black cat a while ago. Ain't it good to have something to take care of?"

"It's up to you."

With gentle force, a thumb and an index finger brought my face to Satoru's line of sight. I just stared at him, too exhausted to ask why or utter any word. Satoru's brows turned uneven as he observed my face. "What's up with you?"

With a rather heavy sigh, I peeled his hand off cheeks. "Why are you still in my room? It's already near midnight. Yaga sensei will scold you if he discovers you're not in your room."

"I wanna spend time with you," he simply answered before setting the dates aside and resting his head on my shoulder, his body collapsing sideways to mine. "How was your day?"