Chapter 50: Golden

Chapter 50: Golden

Anabeth came knocking at the door. Kagagaling niya lang mula sa foraging kasama ang ilang staff ng apothecary. Tinatanong niya kung naghapunan na ako.

Under the sheets, I wiped my tears and cleared my throat. "Not hungry," I managed to say.

Huminto siya sa pagkatok sa pinto. "'You okay?"

"Yes, it's just... my wound. It's hurting a bit," I lied, trying to make it sound like it was about my gunshot.

"Do you want me to check it?" tanong niya mula sa likod ng pintuan.

"I'll just sleep it out."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, please..."

She hesitated to leave before she sighed. "Just tell me if you need anything."

I heard her steps fading from the hallway. Muli kong siniksik ang sarili ko sa ilalim ng kumot.

I don't even know what I need. I thought I've finally built the confidence to face people and be who I am. But a simple kick brought me easily  back to the ruins.

Because I knew what I heard from the council member was all true. I didn't have a good past. I couldn't change who I am because of it. All I can do now is do my best to survive my everyday. But no matter what I do, it wouldn't be enough.

--

The day of the celebration arrived. Everyone was in high spirits, including the people at the apothecary. It was the day the hope of Van Zanth were born twenty two years ago.

At the breakfast table, Anabeth shared a story about the day the twins were born and how her uncle, Sir Sebastian, was in the mansion when  Ms. Laura was about to gave birth. It was the first time the former beta felt genuine panic because he didn't know what to do. Maging ang mga staff ay napangiti sa kanyang kwento.

Matapos ang agahan, pabalik na kami sa kanya-kanyang kwarto nang tanungin ako ni Anabeth.

"Are you still in pain?" She knew it wasn't completely about the wound. Naging tahimik ako nitong mga nakaraang araw at alam kong nagaalala siya.

"A bit."

"Will you be able to go tonight?"

Hindi ako sumagot.

"The alpha is expecting you."

Dumating ang hapon. Anabeth had to leave first because Sir Sebastian asked her a favor to help the pregnant Ms. Venise to prepare for the  event.

Bago umalis, nagpaalam sa'kin si Anabeth. "We will be waiting for you at the party," muli niyang paalala.

Evening arrived. The invited staff were leaving the apothecary one by  one to attend the party.

"Aren't you going, Eleanor?" tanong ni Senior Violeta nang pagbuksan ko siya ng pinto. Senior Rowena was also standing by the hallway of  my room, both dressed in elegant gowns.

Umiling ako bilang sagot.

"Are you not feeling well?"

I'm in pain.

"The party is until twelve midnight," Senior Violeta told me. "I hope you feel better later on."

Pilit akong ngumiti nang magpaalam sa kanila. The car left the driveway. Silence surrounded the apothecary. My heart was caving in inside my chest.

Lumipas ang oras na nasa loob lamang ako ng aking kwarto. Kalaunan lumabas ako sa garden para huminga. Malamig ang hangin mula sa kakahuyang nakapaligid sa apothecary. I pulled my coat closer to my body.