Chapter Twelve

A plaza just a few minutes away from Jordano's home:
The blue-grey tiles flooring the plaza were crooked and chipped at the edges, lazily cut to fit the specific shape of the oval fountain in the center of the square. The water in the fountain looked mostly clean, the occasional glint of green flashing down the fall. There weren't rusting coins in the bottom as Fiona was used to seeing in the depths of the many luxurious fountains in the castle gardens. She realized that the people living here could not sacrifice even the least valued of their coins, needing every cent to support them. Pity welled up inside of her, and she cast her eyes away from the fountain.

Small vendor's shops lined the square, some better conditioned than others, the simplest being a wooden crate covered in cans of worms. A young boy kneeling next to it shouted, "Fishing bait! Fishing bait! Cheapest in the district!" The look of pride and commitment on his face warmed Fiona's heart, making her smile.

Rhythmic clinking came from the stand next to his, a girl of about eleven years in age occupying a thin table with a shade over it.

Strings hung from the poles supporting the shade cloth, beaded jewelry hanging across the lines. The accessories weren't anything fancy, but Fiona admired her craftsmanship with the small beads. On the other side of the plaza was a sturdy wooden stand with metal roofing, a man in fine grey and black silk standing straight with his hands and wrists tucked into the opposite arm's belled sleeve. He had a bronze pin holding up his long black hair, keeping it off his shoulders in a tight bun. Fiona was wondering why there weren't any items visible, then realized it was a government owned trading post. She turned her attention back around the plaza where small groups of people were shuffling by and trading with the small vendors.

She strode back to the fountain, and after fishing a coin out of her pocket, she flicked it into the swirling water of the base for luck.

Fiona stood a little straighter, turning away from the pedestal of the fountain, and standing on the rim, met the eyes of as many passerby possible. Some of them scurried past not wanting to be noticed, others seemed puzzled by the young, __apperance detail__ lady standing on the rim of the fountain. One by one the people began to catch on that she was about to speak, and gathered nearby, far enough to seem as though they weren't listening while still being within earshot. The busiest of vendors stopped calling customers from across the plaza, a few even closing their shops to listen.

"People of Sector Ten," Fiona began, "My name is Fiona Crimson Regium, the queen of The Ametrine Dynasty," She announced, turning up her volume.

"I would normally address you all as my subjects, but as you are likely aware, I am no longer considered the Queen.

"Many of you assumed I was dead, others guessed that I had run off with a rebel, which in a way was a correct assumption. I did leave the palace on purpose, but not for the reason of loving a rebel or of wanting to make a scene; I left because I was made aware of the great injustice being done among you all.

"I thought that my ruling was fair, that my council was honest and just. I was wrong."
Now the crowd was thickening, people no longer trying to hide their interest. Almost all of the vendors had closed their shops, some had come out to join the throng of listeners. Fiona continued.

"After I was made aware of the tyranny being done, and by my council under my own nose, I knew I had to do something to help my-our country. There was a Rebel, named Abraham Kin, who I met and was soon to leave with, in hopes of fixing what has been broken in our government, assuming the people would rally and fight alongside me. The stars chose otherwise.

"This rebellion has been fought for for years before me, and has had many triumphs, as well as its fair share of losses." Fiona's voice threatened to crack.

"I had a dear friend, whom I did not know for long. Her name was Gabby, and she helped Abraham and I win a few small battles and eventually lead us here. She was caught and killed, hanged in a courtyard, for fighting for what she believed in. A martyr, and not the first."

A few sighs came from the crowd, some people knowing what the feeling was like.

"I refuse to let her sacrifice be in vain, and I am here today, to send out my call. Join this revolution, fix this broken kingdom, and help me rebuild it into something more, into a new world."

The plaza:
The crowd had cheered and many people had stood and bore testimony of their suffering and commitment, and Jordano came from out of the crowd where he'd been stationed. They formed a small group of leaders, and planned to raid a nearby fort. Fiona met a woman of old age, although fine in appearance, she had white hair, streaked with grey, and her blue eyes were hinting on violet. She seemed to be a woman of high respect and social status among the citizens of Sector Ten; and Fiona entrusted her to round up more support before their scheduled attack on the fort.

Several others, mostly men, pledged their allegiance and were assigned special tasks to prepare.

Satisfied with their work, Abraham concluded the meeting, and Fiona, for the first time since she left the palace, she felt like she was doing something right.

Fiona did her best to make eye contact with as many members of the crowd as possible before they slowly left, and did a double take when she saw a girl not a few years younger than her that could very well be her twin. Fiona greeted one last supporter, then stepped off the fountain and walked over to her look-alike. The girl seemed surprised to see her, but not taken back over their similar appearances.

She was wearing dark blue overalls and a black shirt under a crimson coat with the hood flipped up. She had green-grey eyes and full lips. Her lashes were a perfect length, spaced evenly and slightly curved. Her hair was the same brown shade as Fiona's, but waiver.

The look on her face reminded Fiona of a less defiant version of Gabby, and sent a shock through her body. She knew this girl.

"Do I know you?" Fiona asked, trying to sound polite.

The girl nodded, glancing at the ground then the sky. "My name is Celeste. Sound familiar?" Celeste said.

Fiona nodded slowly. "I recognize that name, and your face, did we meet when we were younger?"

Celeste nodded. "We met only once by accident," Celeste seemed disgusted at the word.

"Did you know my mother?" Asked Fiona.

Celeste nodded firmly. "She's my mother too."