| li: a twist in the tale |

"Those little secrets became the story of my life

"Those little secrets became the story of my life." — Akanksha Singh Chauhan, His Inconvenient Bride

" — Akanksha Singh Chauhan, His Inconvenient Bride

Mumbai, India

Something within me rattled when I saw my old bedroom. Everything was in its position, from my study table to my bed. It looked like they hadn't touched anything in my room. Not a single thing was out of its place.

Although I had shipped most of the things, there were still a few things that stayed there, just the way they had been when I had left this place, eight years ago.

Just like my old hairbrush that still stayed over the dressing table. The room looked like it was constantly cleaned and dusted, but nothing was out of place. The air felt just the same, telling me that this place was still mine.

The only change was that my room was also freshly painted and some murals were added at some places, but it was nothing since the colour was the same as before— it was blue.

I turned to my right and my eyes went up to the wall above my bed. A large photo of mine from my sixteenth birthday still hung there, the smile I was carrying in that picture made my stomach twist.

Papa wanted that birthday to be special. So, just before my birthday party, he had called in a photographer to do a one-on-one photo shoot with me.

And like Papa always said, I looked like a princess.

With flowy hair, a white dress and dewy makeup, I looked like a diva. I remember Papa being so happy with the photo that he chose to buy the biggest frame to hang in my room.

Everything here was mine. This space was mine. This was the place where I laughed, cried myself to sleep and had fallen sick. If things would have been different, I would have still stayed in this place, living my life and creating mischief with my friends.

Then all of a sudden I was reminded of why I was there. Picking up my pace, I started searching up my room. Although I had cleared most of the things, there was a hope that I may still find something.

I first started out with my closet. I opened the door that led to my closet and stepped in, taking a good look at the place. It was a walk-in closet. The hangers still hung in the small open cabinets. I quickly checked the drawers in the closet but found nothing.