8. True Spirit

I wasn't allowed to leave the room, no matter how hard and how loudly I banged on the door. I tried to break out, but I was a scrawny guy, and the door was surprisingly sturdy. Nearly broke my shoulder while doing that. Once it became clear that no one bothered to even tell me to shut up, I retreated into the farthest corner of the room and sat down. For a second, I thought about breaking the window and escaping that way, but I was on the second floor, and a coward.

I couldn't believe what was happening to me. I was technically kidnapped by a bunch of crazy people! There were no such things as werewolves! I mean, what the fuck? Both Ryder and Thisalee were completely mad!

And if they thought that keeping me here was a good plan, they were wrong. Utterly wrong. People would start looking for me. They probably already were looking for me. It was just a matter of time before they had to let me go.

While I waited, I listened carefully to the sounds around me. I could hear talking somewhere below me, but the voices were muffled, and I could only understand a few words here and there. The smells in the house were almost overwhelming, and for some reason, everything looked... sharper. Highly detailed.

I was getting a headache, so I closed my eyes, wishing I could close the other senses too. I tried to stay calm, but I had lost that state of mind the second this madness started.

Werewolves... What the actual fuck?

And then... I could feel something. Sadness... Misery... I focused on those feelings, but I was fairly certain they weren't mine... It didn't feel like those emotions were inside me. Like... Like I was feeling someone else's feelings.

I tried to ignore it. I tried to tell myself this was just a very odd dream, but that sadness... It started hurting my soul, and soon, I couldn't ignore it anymore. It became all I could register anymore. And I heard crying... Thisalee was crying somewhere close by...

I couldn't stand it. Whatever was going on, I suddenly didn't care anymore. I was a werewolf? Fine, just please, my love, don't cry...

A short moment later, I was banging on the door again, calling her name. She continued crying and refused to come to me.

"Thisalee, please! I was a jerk, I know, but please come open the door!"

I heard footsteps coming my way, but they were too heavy to belong to her. I could smell Ryder behind the door before he even stopped next to it.

"Go to sleep, Ray," he said in a hostile voice. "She doesn't want to see you."

"Please, let me see her. I need to tell her I'm sorry," I begged him, but he didn't budge.

"Go to bed, now," he said and started to walk away.

"I'm sorry, Ryder! You have to believe me! Don't go!"

"Goodnight, Ray," he replied, his voice still angry.

I stared at the door for a long time, trying to decide if I should try to break it down, but if she didn't want to see me... No matter how much I wanted to go to her, I had to respect her wish. I'd been a massive asshole to her, after all...

All I could do was hope that she was willing to speak with me in the morning.

*****

I didn't get any sleep. I kept tossing and turning and trying to hear Thisalee, but I guess she had fallen asleep at some point because I heard nothing. Her soul was much calmer too. I stared at the ceiling, my eyes wide open, unable to even think about closing them.