8: Until I Met You

Chapter 8

A whole week had passed since Cason and Evan came to talk to us during lunch, and let me tell you, it had to have been one of the worst weeks I had ever experienced in my seventeen years of life.

Even in my old town I didn’t feel like this. I was so used to the torment I received back home that I learned to block it out and not bat an eye if someone was to tease me, however, this was different. When I moved here I put my past of being bullied behind me and started anew, but that didn’t exactly happen this week with Cason’s constant teasing.

I swear that boy had something wrong with him because even when I told him to bug off and mind his own business, he won’t let up on the teasing while plopped in the seat beside me during English.

In the last week alone it seems as though Cason had given me more attention than he gives to Evan. Every day during English he would sit down in the desk beside mine and proceed to ask me useless questions, which I rarely dignified with a response, and he still insisted on calling me Jessa, even though I’d warned him a countless number of times to stop.

On top of the random questions before and after the bell, he's also made it his personal duty to annoy the hell out of me during class. During the week while the teacher was trying to give us an education, I’ve been spending my time trying to ward off the various flying objects that have been sent my way by the devil in disguise. There have been eraser clippings, rolled up pieces of paper, and I’m pretty sure he even chucked a pencil at my arm once to try and piss me off.

And let me tell you, his methods were certainly working.

When the school week was over, I was able to breathe again as I knew that I wouldn’t have to see Cason for the next two days. He was fast becoming a thorn in my side that I really didn’t need.

However, on Friday night my mom asked me if I wanted to go to the Michaels for dinner again, but I had already thought of a way to get out of this situation if it were to arise.

In response, I told my mother that I had already made plans with Olivia to go walk around the beach and grab dinner. However, I didn’t want her to think she had to miss on a night with her new friend and co-worker so, I told her to go over there for dinner.  Just because I didn’t want to step foot in that house right now it didn’t mean that my mom shouldn’t. Her and Diana were friends and they shouldn’t have to stop talking just because their children weren’t on the best terms with each other.

Surprisingly, I actually didn’t end up lying to my mom about what my plans were tonight.

Once my mom left, I texted Olivia to see if she was doing anything and, since she texted back with a negative answer, we actually did end up going down to the beach and ordering our dinner from the beach stand. Even though a large poutine and a bottle of Pepsi didn’t exactly constitute as a healthy dinner, it was cheap and I enjoyed the time that was surely well spent.

Olivia and I were becoming really close and I was really glad that I had someone to trust and lean on in this town, unlike my previous town where all the people my age were jerks and snobs.