Chapter 109

The weeks passed quicker than the students would've liked. But they were wrong to think they could enjoy their last year at Hogwarts and lay back, for they were loaded with homework and essays in every class. However, as October arrived and a Hogsmeade trip was arranged, they were all excited to push back their studies for a day and enjoy themselves for a few hours of the day.

     "Okay... how do I look?" James asked after spending ten minutes in front of a mirror in their dorm, trying to get his hair to look perfect for his first date with Lily.

      "Hmm..." said Sirius thoughtfully, looking up at him from where he lay on the bed. "You look like a complete idiot."

      James turned to glare at Sirius who was smirking. "It wouldn't kill you to be helpful for once, Padfoot."

       "You've been in front of that stupid mirror for the past ten hours styling your head and you don't look different even a bit! Lily's not gonna care what your hair looks like! So here's a helpful tip: stop being an idiot!" Sirius retorted before turning to face Remus. "Back me up here, Moony."

     "Don't drag me into this," Remus said wearily, not even raising his head from his book.

      "You guys are the worse," James said with a grin, moving away from the mirror. "Now... which shoes will go better with —"

     Sirius groaned to himself, getting up from the bed and making his way over the dormitory's door.

  "Oi! Where are you going?" James asked him with a frown.

      "To a land where no one cares which trousers go with the color of their underwear," said Sirius, leaving the room and closing the door behind him.

      "Hey! I don't match my trousers with my underwear!" James said defensively, turning to face Peter and Remus.

     "Of course, Prongs," Remus said in a supportive tone, flipping to the next page of his book with a smile. "We all know you it's your socks that you match with your underwear."

     "Yes, thank you, Moon —" James stopped in mid-sentence, only realizing what Remus had actually said.

      But when James turned to glare at him, Remus had already raised his book higher to cover his face, hiding his grin.

***

"Hello, ladies," said Sirius, walking into the common room and toward Lily and her friends, who were sitting on the couch in front of the fire place.

     "Ugh, give me a rest," Marlene mumbled.

     "What's up with her?" Sirius asked the others quietly.

    "She's just upset that we have dates and can't spend today with her," Lily told him.

  "Excuse you!" Marlene snapped, turning to face them sharply. "It's not my fault there's no one to go with!"

     "That's not entirely true, Mar," Lily said gently. "Two guys asked you out in the past week."

      "W-well, I didn't like them..." Marlene muttered under her breath grumpily and looked away, folding her arms.

     "You know, if you like someone, you can always ask them yourself," Lily said, but Marlene's ears went red, yet she didn't answer.

      "We already told you, Mar," Alice started kindly, "you can join any of us if you like. We'd all be happy if you tagged along."

  "Now, that's not true —" Sirius was saying but was stopped by the many glares he received from the other girls.

     "I don't want to!" Marlene groaned. "You and Frank are too cheesy, James has finally gotten a date from Lily and I don't want to ruin it, and Sirius and his girlfriend are far from innocent and I don't want to be a witness of their smooching!"

      Sirius let out a sudden laugh that sounded like a bark, but it soon fell and he took a step back when they glared at him once again.

      "Well, you can go with me and Diana. Peter and one of Diana's friends are coming with us, too," said Remus, who had just walked down the boys' dormitory and had heard part of the conversation. Marlene merely shrugged.

      "Hello!" Turning around, they saw James walking toward them with a smile, with Peter right behind him. "Ready to go?" He asked Lily nervously.

  "Yeah, sure." Lily nodded, her cheeks going slightly pink. And so with one last wave at the group, they left the common room together.

      "Woah... I don't think I've ever seen James nervous," said Sirius with bewilderment.

      "Well, that's the magic of love, isn't it?" said Alice with a dreamy sigh.

      The rest of them soon left the common room as well, but Remus walked a bit slower to go alongside Alice.

     "Why is Marlene so grumpy? Is she feeling all right?" Remus whispered curiously as they walked behind the rest of them.

    "Isn't it obvious?" Alice asked, blinking at him.

     "Not to me. I don't exactly know Marlene like you do," said Remus. "Is it really because she feels left out? We can set her up with a guy, if she likes."

     "That's not her problem." Alice shook her head.

  "Then what it is? I really wish I could help in some way."

     "No, because I'm not sure if Marlene sees what the problem is herself either," Alice said in a final manner, slightly quickening her pace and leaving Remus behind.

     Remus stayed behind for a while, watching after them in confusion. But at last he shrugged and walked down to the entrance hall with them. The couples soon parted ways with them, leaving Peter, Remus, and a grumpy Marlene behind, as they waited for Diana and her friend to emerge from the dungeons.