twenty-six

The next day arrived, which meant the day of the president's event arrived as well. Daeun sighed out of boredom, realising that Sunghoon would not be joining her for the event.

The car ride with her parents was silent but peaceful. She kept her eyes on the view outside, earning glances from her father. "What's wrong, Daeun?" He asked.

"Your daughter probably feels upset her beloved boyfriend isn't joining us today," Mrs Ahn teased. Daeun let out a small laugh, "He has work, mom. He's a surgeon after all."

Mr Ahn grinned, "We'll have so much fun today. You don't have to worry. Bina is not joining us. Only her father."

"What if people throw things at me? The video of me slamming Bina onto a desk is already trending on social media, dad."

"Well," Mr Ahn shrugged, "We can't do anything about it. You don't have to be worried about it. I hired extra bodyguards for you."

The car arrived at the venue. She watched all the reporters flashing their cameras at them. The other people were cheering and waving, hoping for the president to see them from the car. Mr Ahn got out of the car and went to the other side of the vehicle to open the door for his wife.

Daeun scoffed, "What a gentleman."

"That's why I married your father," Mrs Ahn exclaimed happily before holding her husband's hand. They both stood properly and waved at the people and cameras. Daeun then followed them and shyly smiled at the cameras.

She examined the Blue House in front of her, the tall building her father works at every day. She watched as her parents were heading into the building, escorted by the bodyguards.

"Ms Ahn, shall we?" One of the bodyguards asked. She nodded and took a deep breath.

"Am I late for the event?" A familiar voice asked. Mr and Mrs Ahm immediately turned around out of surprise. Daeun widened her eyes at the sight of Sunghoon walking toward her with a bouquet.

She could see flower petals falling around him, making him look more handsome and breathtaking. He approached her and gave her the flowers, "You look beautiful today."

"Sunghoon! I thought you weren't joining us," Mrs Ahn said happily. "I couldn't leave my girlfriend at the event alone," he said.

"Welcome, Sunghoon," Mr Ahn said and they all went into the building.

Mr Ahn was talking in front of the reporters, giving his speech about the current issues as usual. Daeun and Sunghoon sat at the back while waiting for him to finish. She leaned closer to Sunghoon before whispering, "How did you even come here? I thought you had a programme."

"I had Jake to replace me."

"He'll hate you for that," she laughed. "Oh, you weren't there when he was cursing. He told me to babysit his children while he will be going on a vacation with Edlyn."

Daeun laughed and averted her attention back to the crowd in front of the stage. She then caught a glimpse of her uncle leaving the hall. Her curiosity won over her and made her excuse herself.

She followed her uncle from behind and found herself near the toilet at the end of the hallway. People rarely use that toilet since it was located a bit too far from the hall. She hid in the corner and watched as an unknown woman approached her uncle.

"I've missed you," the woman brazenly said. Daeun's jaw dropped when her uncle hugged the woman.

You're telling me that Bina's dad is committing adultery?!

She took out her phone and snapped a few pictures of them as evidence. She scrolled down through her gallery and smirked before walking away.

"Sunghoon, have you seen Daeun?" Mrs Ahn asked worriedly. He looked around and stood up, "I'll go find her."

He left the hall and walked around the hallway, searching for his fake girlfriend. He kept searching for a while until a familiar figure made him stop. His heart started beating at an uneasy pace.

The person that he dreaded to meet was finally standing in front of him. The person was unaware of who he was and just smiled at him, confused at why he was staring at her.

She cleared her throat and approached him, "Is there something wrong, young man?"

He stepped backwards slowly as he felt his breathing tremble. His eyes formed tears but he tried hard to stop them from falling. He didn't want to show his weak side to the woman.

Daeun who just came back from the toilet saw him. "Sunghoon?" She asked when she realised something was wrong. He looked frightened which made her worried.

He gulped down his saliva and gathered his courage to call the woman, "Mom?"

The sudden word made his girlfriend and the woman widened their eyes in shock.