FERAL: chapter thirty-three

The vans come to a stop in front of the pack hospital and warriors begin to climb out

The vans come to a stop in front of the pack hospital and warriors begin to climb out. The injured wolves are brought inside, followed by the captives. The place is flooded.

The door to the van I was inside opens. Gray sticks his head in and immediately moves to grab Cloud. The two warriors who had been sitting in the driver and passenger's seats move to help get Gaius.

I follow quickly behind them as they take him inside and he's placed on a wheel stretcher. I want to follow after but the doctors stop me.

"Move!"

"Alpha, please-"

Turning around, I see a very angry Gray arguing with one of the poor doctors. The others are wheeling Cloud away. Shaking my head, I move closer to them and place a hand on Gray's shoulder.

"Come on," I say when he looks at me.

Gray scowls and pushes me slightly before returning to glare daggers at the poor doctor. His mouth opens, probably to yell some more, when someone calls out to him.

"Gray."

Gray turns around and Luna Quinn stands there with a toddler in her arms. The toddler squirms out of her grasp and runs straight towards Gray who immediately scoops her up.

"Daddy!"

A small smile makes its way to Gray's face before it disappears and he glances in the direction of where the doctors took Cloud.

"Come on," the luna urges. "Let them do their job."

With a frown, Gray allows the luna to lead him away. Shaking my head, I look around and spot Novak pacing. Making my way towards him, he stops when he sees me.

"How is he?" I ask.

Novak lets out a humorless laugh. "Shouldn't I be asking you that?"

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous about Gaius. Seeing how different he looked earlier scared me and now that we're back home and it's actually sunken in, I'm worried that they're not going to be able to help him.

But I'm not the only one struggling.

Maybe it's a way to keep myself from worrying, but focusing on others is the only thing keeping me going right now.

"He should be okay," Novak says quietly. "It's just...seeing him on the floor..." his head drops. "I wish I could've been there for him."

"But you're here now," I tell him. "Don't beat yourself up over the past."

Novak nods and the two of us sit in silence for a minute. Part of me feels guilty knowing that Everest got hurt because of me.

"Take your own advice," Novak suddenly says. "Your face screams 'guilty'," my face heats up at that and Novak turns to me. "Neither Everest nor I blame you, Onyx. Just remember that."