Vol. 3, Chapter 1 - 20 Minutes Of Agony

Part 1

(Ayanokoji POV)

I ran full speed through the forest, all the while Karma's footsteps were becoming fainter, indicating he has split off from me. Remembering the map that layed out the entire forest, I had already chosen a spot prior to this exam.

I made my way over to a terrain formation, and climbed the tallest pine tree there. For me, that wasn't a problem. I've been used to climbing tall structures in the White Room, so this wasn't a problem.

This was a really good spot. Not only was it tall, the thick leaves also did a good job at hiding my presence.

"Karma to Kiyo. Are you there?" Karma came through the transceiver.

"I'm here. I'm currently on top of a tall tree. What about you?"

"Seems great minds think alike."

"It's a good vantage point, and I can get the drop in on our enemies easier."

"Yes. Now then, with our spots secured, there should be about 3 more minutes until the others enter the forest."

We managed to secure a good spot in just under 7 minutes. I'm wondering how Albert and Ibuki are doing.

"Think you can handle that person by yourself?" I asked Karma.

"Do you doubt me?"

"I doubt you'll restrain yourself."

"How rude. I know how to exercise self-control you know."

"I see. Well I'm not stopping you. Just don't go too far, and stay out of trouble."

"Don't worry about that. I'll be on my best behavior."

"That's what I'm worried about."

"Ahahaha. Well whatever. I'll contact you when the time is right. I'm still on the lookout for something."

"Got it."

Just as our conversation ended, I spot one of the drones monitoring the battle. I wonder how the other classes are reacting to this.

Just as I thought that, Karasuma announced over the transceivers.

"10 minutes is up. Class D and Class B, enter the forest, and proceed with your special exam."

Seems that the exam has finally started. While I do not care about taking the top spot, I'm pretty much forced to actually putting in effort.

How bothersome. I thought back to a certain line from an anime, that both Karma and the Professor recommended me to watch recently.

'If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, then make it quick.'

The perfect life motto. If the MC were a real person, I feel like we'd get along.

As I was on the look out for the enemy team, Horikita came through the transceiver.

"Ayanokoji-kun, Akabane-kun, what's your position."

I told Horikita my position, and Karma does the same. I described my location to her, and she sent the first group of guards over to my position.

As she does that, she gets Ike to find a good vantage point that'll keep him hidden while he does his work.

I waited for a couple of minutes for my first batch of guards to arrive. As I sat on top of this tree, I can hear faint footsteps coming from behind me. I looked back and saw Yosuke, Matsushita, and Kikuchi making there way over my direction, however, they seem to be struggling to find my exact position.