05 Teashop

I came to rest
At the Altar of stars.

Rabindranath Tagore

Her

"Are you happy, Nour?"

"I'm happy, Eskander."

"I'm glad."

"Are you happy?"

"I am."

"I glad for you too."

Like the many nights before, they watch stars together. Like the many nights before, the nightingales sing. They sit in the company of each other.

"What are you going to talk to Adam about?" she asks him curiously.

"Nothing much. Just threaten him to keep you happy and not hurt you ever, or I'll declare war against him."

Noura chuckles at his playfulness. "You'll threaten a prince?"

"No title holds meaning to me when it comes to you."

She feels a warmth spread through her at his confession. He smiles at her and she smile back, holding his eyes that appear darker than their sun-kissed shade in daylight.

"You know what is one of the greatest gifts of God to me?"

"What?"

"You, Eskander."

He silently leans forward and kisses her forehead.

Him

The hour is a little after dawn when the shops have only begun to open. The morning is chilly, faintly lit and the sun hasn't yet ascended out of the horizon all the way. He walks into a small teashop down the corner of her street where he has agreed to meet Eskander. Daud follows closely behind him. They exchange greetings with an old man working behind the counter making tea.

"Would you like some, agha?" he asks them.

"Yes, thank you."

"Breakfast?"

"No."

"Any treats?"

"Just tea is fine."

He scans the area for Eskander but he hasn't arrived yet. There aren't much people around this early and he's grateful for that. The man behind the counter attempts to strike a conversation with him.

"Are you a traveler?" Adam looks at him at his question but doesn't answer him. The man adds for clarification, "You don't seem a local. Your accent tells me."

"I'm not a local," he replies.

"Where are you from?"

He carefully calculates his response in his head before telling him, "Baghdad."