June Part 2

*Unedited

Chris POV

  "Could that have possibly been anymore disgusting of a call?" Hayden asks as we pull the rig back into the station.

  "I hate to be the barer of bad news, but it most definitely could have," I remind him. "Back in Miami I had a call that was similar to this one, but the house was infested with roaches. I swear every time I took a step there was a crunch sound coming from under my boot."

  Hayden looks positively green now. "Thanks for the visual man. You could've just stopped without the story. I didn't need all that." 

  I cut the engine before jumping out. "Any big plans for your birthday tomorrow?"

 "Nope. Probably just staying in bed with Daph all day," I answer with a grin. 

  "Shouldn't you be past the honeymoon stage by now, Evans? I mean, I'm the one who got married three weeks ago."

  "I don't think we'll ever be out of the honeymoon stage," I admit. 

  Hayden holds the station door open for me to enter. "I give it about, what a month or two after the baby is born and all the lovey dovey mess you two are constantly nauseating us all with will be gone." 

  "The day that stops will be the day one of us stops breathing," I assure him. I grab my stuff from my locker since shift is over, and head for a quick shower. I want to make sure there are no remnants of that call left on me when I get home to Daphne. 

  While I shower quickly, I shower thoroughly. 

  Just as I'm combing the last hair in place I hear my name called and a rush of footsteps coming down the hall. "Evans!"

  "Yeah!" I toss my stuff in my duffle, zipping it up quickly. 

  "Ollie just called," Hayden starts. "They're taking Daphne to the hospital."

  My  heart races as I grab my truck keys from the pocket. "Why? What's happened?"

  "I don't know, man," he says, slightly winded himself. 

  I push past him, rushing towards the back exit to the parking lot where my truck is parked. "Evans!" I hear called out once more. I'm tempted to completely ignore it but whoever called is also running towards me.  "I've gotta go!" I call out, tossing my duffle into the cab of the truck.

  I feel a strong hand on my shoulder, grounding me. "I'll drive," Chief Meridian's voice tells me calmly.

Daphne POV

  "I told you, I'm fine!" I yell out from the backseat of my parent's SUV as my father drives like a bat out of hell through town. 

  My dad eyes me through the rearview mirror, calm and collected. "You passed out. I don't consider that to be fine."

  I mumble under my breath, no longer feeling like a married adult but as though I'm being scolded like a child. "You could've just taken me up to the station. You didn't have to call the doctor."

  My father chuckles lightly as he weaves in and out of traffic, everything around us whizzing by in a blur. "You may be grown. You may be married. You may even be welcoming your own child soon enough. But, you will always be my daughter and one of my top priorities." My eyes roll involuntarily as I listen to him spout all the fatherly wisdom. "Just you wait, Daph. When Juniper is your age and something like this happens, then you'll understand."

  "Your babies never stop being your babies no matter how old they are," my mother chimes in. "Just ask your brothers." 

  I lay my head back on the seat, completely giving up on trying to change their minds and turn the car around. My phone vibrates in my hand as I notice a call coming in. I smile at the sight of Chris' face coming across the screen, my favorite photo of him from Hayden and Charlotte's wedding day. "Hey," I answer.