Chapter 11 - Chicken Fight

***** Brenley's Point of View *****

Sitting around the pool with Dylan Chase's friends ended up being really fun after that bitchy girl left that kept giving me the evil eye. I got the feeling she didn't like me for some reason. She had been shamelessly flirting with Dylan, but he was ignoring her, so maybe she was just in a bad mood.

Dylan's best friend Gabe kept flirting with me in subtle little ways, like shooting me a flirty smile and a wink, swimming up close and just giving me a look that said, "I want you."

It might have meant a little more to me if I hadn't already seen him doing the exact same thing to the other women at the pool party. He was hilarious, charming and handsome, but he had player written all over him.

Hooking up with some hit-it-and-quit-it, hump and dump player was definitely not on my itinerary for this trip. I just wanted to make it through the week unscathed, with my dignity and my heart still in tact. Then I could go back home to Iowa and start the next chapter of my life.

I was one of those people that had to plan ahead for things or else it made me anxious. My five year plan was to buy a house, find a nice local Iowa guy to date, get married, and then eventually have some babies. I was twenty one, so having all of that by twenty six sounded like a reasonable plan.

"Who's ready for a shot?" Gabe asked, pulling me out of my thoughts.

"A Shot? How about we try something a little stronger?" one of the girls said with a mischievous smirk, bringing out a little bag with some white powder in it. "I brought some blow with me," she said, shaking the bag up and down.

My eyes widened and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I had never seen that stuff in real life, only on TV. I suddenly felt really uncomfortable and thought about going back to the guesthouse.

Dylan was standing next to the girl and he shook his head and said, "Put that shit away. I don't know what you're used to at other parties, but I don't allow that kind of shit at my house. We stick to alcohol here."

Her smiled faded away and she looked disappointed as she shoved the bag back into her purse, crossing her arms across her chest and letting out a frustrated exhale.

I was relieved to know that Dylan didn't do that kind of  stuff. It would have made for an awkward week. Gabe poured two tall double shot glasses full of whiskey and handed one to me and one to Dylan.

"Cheers," Dylan said with a smile, clinking his shotglass against mine before tipping it back. I did the same, feeling the burn as it slid down my throat.

Gabe gave me a high five and another flirty smile, saying, "Damn girl. You took that like a champ," before pouring the three of us another shot.

I stopped after the third shot and so did Dylan, but the others had a lot more. The music and the noise of screaming and splashing water had gotten louder and that's when I noticed a few more people had shown up.

The other girls walked off and Gabe went to talk to his friend that had shown up, leaving Dylan and I alone. "Hey, ummm, thank you for what you did earlier. I've never been offered anything like that before. I don't know if you could tell, but I was freaking out."

"Yeah," he smiled. "I felt the same way when I moved here and got offered that crap for the first time by a celebrity I had really respected. Luckily I never fell into that trap. It's crazy how many actors get caught up in that kind of shit and it ruins their lives. That's why I don't allow it at my house."

"Hey! Who's ready to play chicken fight?" Gabe shouted, hooking an arm around each of our necks.   Everyone cheered.

"What's chicken fight?" I asked, scrunching my eyebrows. "That sounds like a weird game." Getting invited to pool parties wasn't exactly a common thing for me.