Twenty-Two

Jimin got a phone call from a local shelter two days later. Someone was missing a calico kitten that had runaway.

The news was bittersweet for Auden. She had started growing attached to Bean, and she was going to miss him jumping around her apartment. But Auden also knew his real owners were probably missing him, and was excited to reunite them.

"You ready to go?" Jimin asked her. He had helped Auden gather up Bean's things, and was standing in the doorway with the tote of items slung over his shoulder. He too seemed sad that Bean was leaving.

"Ready as I'll ever be," Auden sighed, holding Bean close to her chest as they made their way down to where Han was waiting for them in the SUV.

They climbed into the back seat together and instead of sitting with a seat between them this time, Jimin sat in the middle seat so he could be closer to Bean.

Their knees were touching, and Auden did her best to keep her gaze on Bean so Jimin wouldn't notice how her cheeks were sort of flushed.

She was still trying to come to terms with the kiss that happened a week before. They hadn't really talked about it, and Auden wondered if they ever would. Then there was her sleeping over in his bed the night she'd found Bean. And Auden just found it easier to continue on with her self-denial.

It was literally in her contract, stating she couldn't date someone else underneath HYBE. And working for HYBE was the greatest job opportunity she'd ever been given. The hundreds of thousands of dollars in her bank account proving to her just how serious it was for her to hide whatever feelings she was beginning to develop for him.

Jimin wore a white t-shirt and black jeans that day, his dark black hair falling across his forehead in carefully styled strands. His cross earrings that he usually wore dangled from his ears and she hadn't realized she was staring until his deep brown eyes met hers, and a playful smile broke out across his face.

"Are you going to cry when we give him to the real owners?" he asked her, and Auden rolled her eyes.

"I'm not going to cry, Jimin." She raised and eyebrow. "Are you?"

"Maybe," he teased, and then he threw his head back and laughed, the sweetest sound filling the back of the car. His laughter was contagious. He wasn't the type of person to hold back when he found things amusing. She'd seen it on the shows she'd watched of him, and the interviews she'd witnessed. It was one of his cutest habits. And sometimes he'd laugh so much he'd lose control and he would fall into things.

Just as he was leaning into her then as he laughed— his shoulder brushing hers as he reached out to pet Bean on the head affectionally.

She wished she could make him laugh that way more.

"I'm sort of a baby when it comes to saying goodbye."

Auden smiled, finding his confession endearing. "Why do I feel like you'd also be the type to cry during romcoms and during weddings."

Jimin laughed again and then pursed his lips. "I am that type."

"What's your favorite romcom?" she asked him and she found herself enjoying their unexpected car conversation that somehow didn't feel awkward at all. When she allowed herself to just be with him in the moment, and to stop overthinking what was happening between them, she found she really enjoyed talking with him.

"The Notebook," he said easily, and Auden snorted in an unladylike fashion.

"You're joking."

"No, I'm not," he said chuckling.