halloween

A/N: When I used to think about this chapter from Oliver's POV, the song that described it the most for me was,
“I don't care” by Ed Sheeran ft Justin Bieber.

And when I listened to I don't care on my playlist shuffle all I could think about was Oliver in this chapter.

*****

Oliver

I hate halloween. I don’t see the point of dressing up as someone else for one night and pretending to be cool. It’s just another excuse for teenagers to party, that’s all. I hate anything that involves a party.

I never took part in any of those, not the dressing up, not the stupid party. I’d rather stay in my room and do what I always do, coding.

But I could not, not tonight, since my great best friend Jason
Freaking Swindlers threatened me that I have to dress up.

Or else he would tell Gwen everything.

It’s the one weapon he has that can make me do anything.
I do know he would never tell Gwen the truth. But I entertain the idea anyway. So yeah, for the first time in my life I dressed up. As a vampire.

The things I would do for Gwen Bradbury.

Jason said he would go to Gwen’s and pick her up. I didn’t stop him. It would look more acceptable and less awkward if he went instead of me. It  makes no sense for me to suddenly show up in front of her house dressing up like a vampire and drive her here.

So I sent Jason. He was more than ready to go.

I finally step out of my room. Not going to lie, I feel a little out of place but I totally shouldn’t. My costume made me fit right in.

At the end of the day, I know, no matter what I’m wearing or who I pretend to be, I’m the same old Oliver Carlson who’d never be Owen Carlson.

God, I hate Halloween.

I make it downstairs between the mob of people. The yard is filled with people all around and I am not friends-even acquainted-with any of them.

Sometimes I cannot believe that I have been living here for so long but I only have one friend.

I spot my brother right away. The girl in his arms, the girls standing around him, talking and laughing, the guys sitting on the couch and all of them talking and making jokes. So many people and my brother is the star of the show.

I breathe in and breathe out.

There is a reason why I hate parties so much.

I walk out of the living room and go straight to the yard. I look around standing in a corner with particularly nothing to do.

When will they be here?

There is this group of people standing right beside me. Their conversation reaches my ear.

“It’s such a shame. Emily totally should have hit on him…”

Okay, no. Don’t want to know anything about Emily and her love story.

Someone slaps me hard on my back. I turn around.

I don’t think I hate Halloween anymore.

Halloween is good.

It’s a nice idea.

Everyone should dress up once in a while.

This is what makes life worth living.

Gwen Bradbury should think about having some mercy on me.

Those fishnet stockings are doing nothing for her legs, absolutely nothing. That black silk dress should be illegal to wear for her. The little slit on the side? No. Just no. The red velvet cap hanging loosely is a treat and then when I look at her face, I am pretty sure my heart melts through my body.