chapter 73- trending

"why the HELL was i on speaker?" aubrey scolds me after i end the stream.

"because i wasn't expecting you to say... that!" i reply.

"wilbur! we're dating! of course i'm gonna say that i love you!"

"okay okay, i get it!" i stress as i open twitter to find it going absolutely berserk. my name is trending, aubrey's name is trending, "wilbrey" is trending, the words "i love you" are trending, and "WHAT DID SHE SAY" is trending.

"we're on the trending page five times," i tell her while we're still figuring out how to do damage control.

"damn, we're popular."

"aubrey!"

"i'm kidding! anyway, i kinda figured. my twitter and instagram mentions are through the roof right now. i've already seen that clip of me on the phone four different times in the past three minutes."

i rub the front of my head, trying to tone down my pounding stress headache.

"i'm so sorry, aubs," i say. "i pretty much dragged you into this, i shouldn't have had you on speaker, i don't know what-"

"it's okay, wil. i'm not mad. it's my fault for continuously cutting you off while you tried to tell me you were streaming, anyway," she says before i start rambling. "this was bound to happen sooner or later. plus we weren't planning on keeping this from the fans forever, right?"

"yes, but we started dating yesterday! neither of us thought it was gonna happen this quickly."

"that's okay."

"it's okay?"

"yeah. i mean, i'm not embarrassed. i expect some backlash because, like i said before, your simps are gonna be mad-"

"i don't care about them. you know that." i pause for a second. "i mean, okay. that sounds mean. i meant like, i don't see anyone other than you. you're the only one that matters to me in a romantic sense. these random strangers online aren't going to do anything to change my mind. and if anyone gives you trouble, let me know and i'll make sure they stop."

aubrey laughs quietly and i hear her pacing around her floors. she does that when she's nervous.

"are you okay?" i ask.

"i told you i'm fine with this," she replies quickly.

"not what i meant. i meant like, are you okay? how are you feeling all together?"

"oh." she clicks her tongue. "i'm okay. a little shaken up, but okay. you?"

"yeah. same here."

i take a look at twitter one last time to see an outpouring of support. i haven't seen any hate. at least not yet. and hopefully never will.

"uh oh," aubrey suddenly says.

"what?" i jump to the worst case scenario and assume she got a hurtful dm or saw a rude post.

"does alex know?"

"probably not. and he doesn't have to know just yet," i answer a little too quickly.

"you said you guys were on good terms."

"yes, but that was before we were dating."

"ah."

we both pause for a moment, and i grow more nervous about her ex-boyfriend with every passing second.

"it's fine," aubrey says, breaking the silence. "what i do with my life is no longer his business, anyway."

"mhm..." i reluctantly agree.

we have another awkward pause, until i decide to be the one to speak up.

"do you wish we were different?" i ask.

"expand on what you're saying," aubrey says.

"as in, twitch, twitter, instagram, youtube, all of that... do you wish that wasn't a part of our lives? so we could just have a normal, quiet relationship?"

"i mean..." aubrey sighs. "that might be nice. if people weren't up in our business all the time." she laughs quietly. "but if you think about it, we really wouldn't have met if it wasn't for our online worlds."

"of course." i smile, thinking back to me checking twitter for my mcc team, and wondering who the girl on lime llamas was. "how could i forget?"

"hypothetically, it could've been nice if our relationship wasn't exposed so quickly, so we could spend a little bit of time in peace together. but overall? no. i'm happy with our relationship. social media and all."

"you're so perfect..." i say dreamily, not even realizing i'm talking out loud.

aubrey lets out a happy sigh.

"you're perfect too, wilbur."

"i love you."

"i love you too."

"do you want to go to that cafe soon?"

aubrey laughs.

"i think we're obligated to go. we might even have to post, the fans are dying for wilbrey content."

"i'm fine with that."

"as am i."

my face drops as i suddenly remember something.

"i never told them about the ep," i say quickly.

aubrey snorts.

"that's my fault," she replies. "i interrupted you, didn't i?"

"sort of. but that's okay."

"whoops."

"it's fine, i'll stream tomorrow or something and tell them then. or just maybe a twitter post. i don't know, but i'll figure it out."

"you always do."

(A/N i don't know how many chapters will be left of this story... but i know we're sorta approaching the end... O_O which is weird because i started this story last june! it's been almost a year... holy smokes. but anyway! i hope you enjoyed the double post! i love you lots and i hope you have a beautiful day <33)