Chapter 2~ Gasping for Air

Mom invited Sean in for dinner. She placed bowls of spaghetti and meatballs in front of us.

"I'm so glad it's just like I remember." Mom served herself last and placed a pitcher of juice in the center of the table.

Sean twirled a helping of spaghetti onto his fork. "Thanks so much, Mrs. Keyes." he shoveled the food down. "And no need to worry about Dakota. Everyone pretty much knows and those who don't think it's just an old tale in a small town." he shrugged and reached to pour himself a glass of juice. I shifted in my chair and tugged at my shirt. I wanted him to go so I could take this shirt off. I didn't want him to stare at my gills again.

"I grew up around here." Mom said as she took more human-sized bites of her spaghetti. "It was like that when I went to school, we used to all go to the ocean and swim together after class."

Sean took a gulp of juice and nodded. "A lot of the teachers are part selkie or mermaid too so we have a lot of our events down by the ocean where we can all swim together. The ones that have skins can wear them but a lot of them either don't have skins or have theirs hidden away so..." Sean waves his fork around "You know, they don't get stolen."

"Right." mom took a sip of her drink and glanced at me as I tried to find a comfortable position, sitting up eased some of the pulling but it made a portion of my gills open wider.

"Mom?" I slouched in my chair. "Where's dad."

"Running late." she said. "He's still at work."

"I thought he was going to be remote." I twisted some spaghetti onto my fork and tried to ignore my aching sides.

"Mostly remote." she clarified. "He'll have to go in occasionally, like today to meet everyone and get situated."

"When will he be home?" I straightened back up, finding a halfway spot that was at least bearable.

"Probably not until after you've gone to bed, sweetie." She offered a sympathetic smile but I wanted him home. I wanted them both home. What if I finished my transition and he wasn't home, what if neither of them was home and I had to do it by myself. Fear prickled along my spine, and I shook the thought away, hiding my anxiety behind another bite.

Sean left right after he finished his food, only staying long enough to clean his plate. I tore my shirt off and went to lay down in my bed. My gills itched and I couldn't reach them through the pouches, my skin tightened as it dried. I grabbed the seaweed aloe vera lotion mom found for me and slathered it over my skin. I lay on my back and tried to relax. I could transition any week now. I would transition and this would all be over. I would either have to live in the ocean or I could go to college with Emory like we planned. Tears pricked my eyes as the itching ramped up. I called Emory.

"Dakota?" she yawned. "Everything okay?"

"It's fine." I winced grinding my teeth. "My stupid gills just itch and I can't get comfortable." I rubbed at the pouches trying to soothe the itch even just a little.

"I'm sorry." she groaned, her bed creaking.

"Were you sleeping?" I asked. Crap. "What time is it there?"

"Five forty." she yawned.

"Sorry, I didn't realize the time difference."

"It's okay." she sighed and I heard a click like a light switch. "I have to start getting ready for school anyway. You just going to bed?"

"Yeah, I just wanted to hear your voice." I grit my teeth and dug my nails into my palm, I just wanted to rip these stupid gills off.

"Call me anytime Dakota," she said.

"Go ahead and get ready for school, I'll just listen."

"You got it."

Emory's routine was always skincare, picking out three outfits to choose from and then whatever shoes best matched that. The rush of the water and her muttering eased some anxiety lulling me into a comfortable rest.

I jerked awake gasping for a solid breath. My gills pulled at the dry patches. I ripped them off and scrambled into the hallway and into the bathroom. I flicked on the water and crammed myself under the faucet. I plugged the tub, kicked the rest of my clothes off and slid in. Thankfully, mer gills filtered both salt and freshwater just fine. I sank into the filling tub, one leg draped over the edge, and closed my eyes. When the water reached my shoulders I turned off the faucet and let myself fall back to sleep.

The light flicked on and mom gasped and grabbed her chest. "Dakota." She shook her head. "What are you doing in the bathtub?"

"Ran out in the middle of the night." I groaned letting my eyes drift back shut.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

I wasn't hurt, other than the aquatic part of me ruining all of my plans I was fine, but I shook my head. "I want things to be the way they were."

She turned off the light, and a moment later her familiar hand smoothed my hair back. "I know sweetie. We'll figure this thing out soon." she pressed a kiss to my head. "No matter what, I'll do whatever I can to make sure you're happy."

"