Prologue

My name is Gretchen Müller, and I have a secret, I'm in love with a Jew, Daniel Cohen. You'd think there isn't anything wrong with it, but in Munich, Germany in 1931, and being close to Adolf Hitler, it's practically impossible for me to be safe and be with Daniel.

It's rather funny how we met looking back; he was a reporter at Munich post, he was trying to bring down Hitler. He explained that he believed my father got murdered, I scoffed, not believing him, however after these few weeks I do believe my father was murdered, not killed in crossfire as Uncle Dolf had told me.

I have short wavy dirty blonde hair that rests above my shoulders. I have misty foggy blue eyes and a light tan skin tone with an oval shaped face. Daniel has soft chestnut brown hair, olive skin, and deep brown eyes with some gold in them, his face was rather sharp, but I can easily seek comfort in it, he's a year older than me making him 18.
———

Daniel and I were in our third-class train compartment with a mother who finally calmed her three children. I rested my head on Daniels chest, listening to the steady beating of his heart and breathing. I closed my eyes; Uncle Dolf was a psychopath!? This man I saw as a second father after mine died, the man leading the National Socialist (Nazis) this man who I've wanted to be head of office since I was little, a psychopath, my papa also a psychopath, although made a recovery during The Great War.

I slowly lifted my head and looked at Daniels deep brown eyes, he was looking at me in a soft loving way, not as if he was planning to harm me as I was once taught "I think my father knew, but simply didn't understand that he was crazy. Remember the letter?" I asked Daniel

He took a look at the woman sitting across from us, she seemed to be asleep with her children "Yes, I remember, but that doesn't mean much, well, right now. It's important we remember it; it might be useful later. Do you know anyone else who was in the car with Herr Hitler and your father? They might know more. You said that you know everyone who would've been in the car" Daniel said "Kind of, it's fuzzy, but once I see them, I know it'll be them, although I think Herr Amann is good place to go, the only thing is that I haven't an idea where he is. I believe he is rather ill" I said thinking about Amann

"Do you think you'll be able to convince Herr Hitler to tell you?" Daniel asked "I haven't a clue. I don't want to be obvious; you remember what happened with Reinhard" I said "It is a wise choice; if Herr Hitler were to find out we are as good as dead" Daniel said.

I could hear his heart thumping at a fast pace, he didn't show it, but he was scared "It should be fine Daniel" I said trying to reassure Daniel "I know, you should go back to sleep, we won't get back to Munich for another five hours" Daniel said placing a light peck on the side of my head.

I had just closed my eyes before I heard a woman clear her voice, I looked up and saw the mother across from us "You two seem like a cute couple, just don't show that affection in front of my children or you'll be teased for life" she said before closing her eyes

I felt my cheeks flush with colour. I heard Daniels heartbeat faster, it was nice to know that both of us were embarrassed. I took a deep breath, I just learnt to most shocking things in the world. My whole life I had been lied to. Daniels heart slowly slowed down and he lightly stroked my hair as I slowly went to sleep.

I got awoken to the sudden stop of the train, I opened my eyes and saw we were at Bemberg Station, about three hours into our trip, therefore halfway. I seat up and look around me, the woman across us was trying to wake her children up, I know that stops like this aren't that long, I stood up and tried to help her, I shook one of her kids lightly "Hey, wake up, your mother needs to go" I whispered into the child's ear, and they woke up straight away and almost screamed "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you" I said with a smile.

The child smiled and woke their siblings up "Thank you Fräulein for your help, my son is always a struggle to wake up" The woman said while leaving the compartment. I sat back down, and the train started to move again.

"Didn't know you had a way with kids" Daniel said "I didn't know, sure, I used to wake Reinhard up, but he's my older brother, and I'd use food and not touch him" I said, I felt some heat rushing to my cheeks but dismissed it.

After a few minutes I saw Daniel was slowly nodding off to sleep, but trying to keep his eyes open "You can go to sleep, I'll wake you up, besides, we've already been traveling for almost 10 hours, we still have two hours till we return to Munich" I said, Daniel shook his head "You also need your rest" Daniel said

"I already slept two hours, if I sleep anymore I won't sleep tonight, it is only 5:30 pm" I said, "I suppose your right" Daniel muttered "I can stay awake these next two hours, besides I don't want to make it a habit" He explained, I nodded, it makes sense, he's a reporter, therefore would travel quite a bit for stories, it will make a rather bad habit.

When we went past Dachau I stared rather intensely, see if I recognised anything "What are you looking at?" He asked "Oh, my Oma and Opa live in Dachau. I'm just seeing if I recognised any landmarks" I explained while looking out the window. I heard Daniel chuckle lightly and wrapped his arm around my waist.
———
1 month later
———
(End of The Prisoner Of Night And Fog)
———
I stared at the setting sun as the train made its way to Switzerland. I turned and looked at Daniel, he held his injured hand close to his chest "Daniel, when we get to Switzerland, we will go to a hospital" I said "No, once we get to Switzerland we must save up our money to leave Europe" Daniel said, wincing lightly. I frowned "Where are we going to stay? Zürich or Bern? Both speak German and French, so it'd be easier" I said "Gretchen, there is more, we'll have to stop somewhere else. Maybe ask the Conductor for a map" Daniel suggested

I nodded and went out to the front of the train "Excuse me" I asked "Yes Fräulein?" The conductor asked "May I have a map of Switzerland and Germany?" I asked,politely. "Sure" he said, handing me a map. "Thank you" I said nodding before going back to mine and Daniels compartment.

I looked at the map. "Maybe we should go to Bregenz than Liechtechstein as it's easier to get by without an ID, maybe when we go to Zürich, we'll have to walk though, it'd take several days, and we'd have to stay in some smaller towns and have some jobs to pay for false IDs and for your arm," I said, eyebrows lightly scrunched in thought, lips pursed. "No, we handle my arm after we get to Oxford when we get to..." He didn't finish the sentence "Whitestones" I said as I have never told Daniel my friend in England. 

A/N

Thank you for reading this book.
I really don't want to this to be a fail but as I said in the description I can't find any other fanfictions of The Prisoner Of Night And Fog and The Conspiracy Of Blood And Smoke

I'm also going to include quotes from the books at the start of the chapter

I'm writing my own story, When our Worlds Collide

Co- author for this book is @ShadowHunter1349

@ShadowHunter1349 and @echo_shards01 are my friends writing their own stories so check them out

I have my own writing of the Prisoner of Night and Fog, written from Daniels perspective, you can check out my account for it, while this is mainly written from Gretchens Pov, it could help you understand the story better

Word Count: 1461