Chapter 54

You stare at the unfolded piece of paper in your hand

You stare at the unfolded piece of paper in your hand. "...Beidou, are you capable of reading this?"

"Let me see... Whoever wrote this didn't give the ink the needed time to dry - that's for sure. The beginning is partially readable but the end is smeared beyond recognition. In addition to that is that a nice handwriting not being that person's forte. ...I think we should ask Kazuha about it, just to be sure."

After having found Kazuha on top of a mast you both show him the letter.

"...From where did you get this?"

You show him your sleeping friend. "We fished Rosa out of the water and it had this attached to it. Can you decipher what is written on it?"

For a moment Kazuha hesitates and looks between you and Beidou with his crimson eyes and only then starts to read:

"Dear (Y/N),

I hope Rosa managed to find and that you didn't get yourself into your usual type of trouble. I myself am in a sub ideal situation so your disappearance came at the right time. Please don't come looking for me as I don't want you to get involved in this.

...the rest is unreadable. I am sorry.", Kazuha shakes his head.

"No problem. I am impressed that you were able to read this so smoothly in the first place... As a poet you must have seem some terrible handwriting. The most important thing is that I got the message and it is safe to say that the letter is from Aether."

"Yes, that would be the most likely consigner. How do you feel after hearing the letter?"

"I guess it's good that Aether does his best to help the people in Inazuma - that should be at least the reason for his 'sub ideal' situation. Nevertheless, I would prefer to stay at his side since..." You pause. "...Since Liyue has proven that keeping me away from danger doesnt keep me away from danger. ...Strange for Aether to have this opinion when last time this was a topic he clearly preferred me to stay at his side... That guy really can't make up his mind." Yawning you stretch. "Anyway, I think I will try to actually sleep for a bit now. If you excuse me..." With caution you climb down the mast and go back to your cabin with Rosa in your arms.

"Do you have a lighter?"

"Yeah, give me a sec... Here.", Beidou hands over the small item to Kazuha.

A click and the already damaged letter goes up in flames. "No reason to keep the proof of my artistic liberty around."

"Other people would call it verbal forgery."

"Are you criticizing my methods again?"

"I just... kinda feel bad for 'em. Having them around is nice, not gonna lie, but lying so much to them won't be a long-lasting solution."

"To be fair, the version we tell them isn't that far from reality - only an alteration here and there. With the right arguments we could justify our actions to a third-party like her Excellency." Kazuha looks at the last glowing remnants of the paper getting blown away by the wind.

"I know, I know. Still, (Y/N) themselves won't be happy once they hear about this."

...

The following days pass smoothly. Rosa recovers from the swimming trip through a good portion of sleep and you and the Crux grow closer with time. Playing simple games with Beidou, learning how to use gras as an instrument with Kazuha, fishing with both of them and in the evenings you enjoy nice and cheerful meals with the whole crew. The topic of training and the Electro Vision isn't touched anymore. At some point you don't feel the urge to ask them about the newest events on the Inazuma mainland either. The life on the Alcor becomes normal for you. You have a decent routine without getting bored of it.

Until one day don't go the way you're used to.

Usually, it is Kazuha who wakes you up early in the morning shortly after the sun rises. But today is quiet. Not even footsteps are audible which is extremely strange.

You poke your pink friend. "Come on lil' guy, wake up. Do you know if something happened? This creepy silence is suspicious..."

Rosa shakes its body.

Standing up you move to the deck and look around. Not a single soul is here despite the fact that it is already daytime. Only a pair of seagulls is waddling around.

"Guys?"

No answer.

"GUYS? PLEASE DON'T TELL ME YOU LEFT ME ON THIS FRICKING SHIP ALONE?!"

I hope you enjoyed reading and stay healthy!