What Undermines the Empire

Foreimen Family Mansion, City of Zittold

While moving to another room, Lochfell explained his request to Nitta, the leader of the delegation.

"I have also heard rumors that Japan is a military power that, despite being located on the outskirts of the Far East, has managed to destroy the Altian Empire, one of the Seven Dragons like our country, without a scratch. It also possesses tremendous technological power that is out of this world."

Not that it is a military power... Nitta thought, but he knew that Lochfell had a high opinion of Japan.

"And that its medical technology is of a high standard..."

Japan's isolated medical standards in this world had gained a reputation, especially among the nobles and royalty of Japan's neighboring countries such as Northaroia and Rovania. Lochfell also seemed to have obtained this information from somewhere.

"The city is currently suffering from a certain epidemic."

"An epidemic..." Endo murmured.

Finally, Lochfell gets to the heart of his request.

"It's not just about Zittold. The same disease has been confirmed in neighboring Beginteria and Foulique. People are afraid to leave their homes for fear of the disease. Merchants are fleeing, and the city has lost its former vigor."

Lochfell and four others arrived in front of a room. When they opened the door, they found a young man lying on a bed set up in the room. He was out of breath, and to the untrained eye, he was clearly ill.

"My son, Wilde, suddenly fell ill four days ago. He has had a high fever ever since, and his consciousness is very weak..."

Lochfell's request was to treat his son, Wilde. He was willing to return the Japanese national and did not require any money, and his offer was based on his parental love to cure his son, not on any loss. Nitta realized the seriousness of the situation.

"Get him a medic right away!"

Saying this, Nitta ordered the medical staff that had accompanied the delegation to be brought here. The three medical staff members who were waiting in the truck parked in the courtyard of the house, namely, Lieutenant Shibata, Leading Seaman Mitsunami, and Petty Officer Third Class Mizusawa, were summoned at a moment's notice.

Shibata, who was summoned, immediately began examining Wilde. He examined the patient's symptoms by palpation, temperature measurement, and blood pressure measurement.

'High fever, small hemorrhagic spots and significant lymphatic swelling... especially in the groin...'

Based on the patient's findings, Shibata comes up with several names for the disease. To further narrow down the list, he asked Perpira Filliform, a doctor on duty at the house, who is standing by his side.

"What were the findings of the other patients, the ones who died?"

"Findings?"

"...For example, any visible features on the affected person's body."

"Well... high fever, chills, and slurred vision were common symptoms, but... oh, the black spots! Hence, some people called the disease 'black spot disease.'"

The sudden high fever, clouded consciousness, swollen lymphatic system, and black spots that appeared in the terminal stage of the disease, this information led Shibata to predict a certain name for the disease.

"...Perhaps the name of this patient's disease is what we call 'bubonic plague' in our world."

"!!"

"Bubonic plague!? That black death!?"