Chapter 12 - Movie Premiere

***** Dylan's Point of View *****

I looked in the mirror at my reflection as I fastened the diamond cuff links onto my custom Armani tux. The stylist had slicked my hair back with gel so it was out of my face and I had to admit, it looked good like that. I felt like James Bond.

My phone rang with a Facetime call from my Mom. She always called me through Facetime because she said she didn't get to see my face enough since I lived so far away. She said it made it feel like I was actually there.

When I answered, I saw my Mom's smiling face looking back at me. There were faint wrinkles around her eyes, and a little hint of silver hair on her temples, reminding me that she was getting older. Even still, she had always been a beautiful woman and she looked young for forty five. Growing up, people always thought she was my older sister instead of my Mom.

"Hey Mom" I smiled. "How are you?"

"I'm good! But more importantly, how are you?" Before I could answer, she said, "Wow! Don't you look handsome? Stand back and let me see that suit."

I propped the phone up and stepped back, buttoning the suit jacket and doing a spin for her.

"Oh man. That's a gorgeous suit. It looks so good on you," she smiled proudly and I saw her eyes getting teary. "I'm so sad we can't be there this time. It's gonna be the first movie premiere of yours we've ever missed."

My Dad had thrown his back out a few days ago and he could hardly walk. Mom wanted to stay home and take care of him, so neither of my parents were coming. I actually wasn't going to have any family at this premiere because my brothers and sister couldn't come because of school.

"It's alright Mom. It'll be just like the other premieres you guys have been to. You won't be missing much."

She smiled, looking relieved that I wasn't disappointed.

"So who's your date tonight? Somebody famous?" she asked.

"No, it's the sweepstakes girl."

"Sweepstakes girl?" she asked with scrunched eyebrows. "Am I supposed to know what that means? she laughed.

"Yeah, you remember that sweepstakes I told you about where a random girl got to come to L.A. and see what it's like to live like a celebrity for a week?"

"Oh yeah. I forgot about that," she nodded. "So, what's she like, this sweepstakes girl?"

"She's nice," I smiled.

My Mom looked at me, analyzing my face through the phone for a few seconds before saying, "You like her."

"What?" I laughed, taken aback. "Mom, I hardly know her. We just met a couple days ago."

She shrugged. "When it's the right person, a couple days is all it takes. With your Dad, I knew he was the one on our first date."

I couldn't even imagine falling for someone on a first date.

"So tell me about her," my Mom insisted.

"Her name is Brenley. She reminds me of the people back home in Minnesota. It's been a long time since I've gotten to hang out with a normal person that I can relax and just be myself around," I told her, trying to fight back a smile.

"Awww. So, where's she from?"

"Sioux City, Iowa, so not too far from where you guys are in Minnesota. She's a full time college student, and a coffee barista. She's saving up to buy her own house after she graduates in a few months."

"Wow. She sounds like an impressive woman."

"You know what's even more impressive? Since she's helping us to promote the movie, the studio offered to help her buy the house she's saving up for, but she turned it down. She said she wants to earn it on her own. Can you believe that?" I laughed.