18

I woke up covered in sweat and gasping for breath

I woke up covered in sweat and gasping for breath. Another nightmare.

I tried to calm my racing heart but it doesn't listen to me. I think of going back to sleep before dismissing the thought. I won't be able to go back to sleep again.

I looked around the room, it's all really dark. But I wasn't afraid of the dark. I've been locked up without any light so many times that it's almost normal for me.

"Astrid." A voice spoke and I jumped in my spot, not expecting it. "Sorry I didn't want to scare you. It's me." Papa.

"It's ok," I wishpered back.

"Why are you awake," papa said turning the lights on.

"I- uh- couldn't sleep."

"Nightmares?"

How did he know?

I nodded discreetly hoping he wouldn't notice. He did. Does he have night vision?

"Would you like some hot chocolate?"

"Yes," I squeaked, even though I didn't want hot chocolate I wanted some company. It'll make him stay with me a little longer.

"Come," papa said opening the door a little wider. I got up and walked out with him following behind.

"I make the best hot chocolate in the world," papa wishpered comically, taking mugs out of the shelf.

I watched as he moved around the kitchen humming something under his breath. I don't know what it is but it sounds really soothing.

"Here," papa said sliding handing the mug to me, "let's go sit in the garden."

I followed him to a big willow tree and sat under it just like he did. It was comfortable silence for a while before papa spoke," I planted this tree after you were taken. It's supposed to symbolize that you're not dead, that you're out there waiting for us to find you. You're brothers said it was stupid, they still do. But I just wanted something to, you know, to remind myself that I've failed once and I can't let that happen again."

"I think it's cute,"I said softly earning a smile from him.

"It's a blessing to have you," papa said softly.

We finished our hot chocolate in comfortable silence. I feel this strange, familiar sort of solace in him which I don't find in anyone else. Not even Daemon.

I sighed as I finished my drink thinking that papa's going to go back to bed now. I'll be alone again.

"Come on let's go watch a movie," papa said putting the mugs away.

I nodded furiously. "Easy my love or your head might fall off," papa laughed as if he'd just said the greatest joke of all time. But I laughed along because I didn't want to upset him.