Chapter 67

"Elle, did anything happen in the mansion when I was gone?"

Irene asked the next day on her vanity looking at herself in the mirror.

"Nothing happened, my lady," Elle responded with her head looking down, Elle's right eyebrow raised.

"Then you are sure acting weird."

Elle couldn't hold in her sigh anymore, "Didn't you forget about what day was yesterday?"

Irene thought about how random this question was, "What do you mean?"

It was weird, Irene usually puts things on her calendar to remind her of important dates, she always looks at it after waking up.

But yesterday...

Irene's eyes widened and ran towards the calendar beside her bed, "Oh shit...I messed up."

It was marked exam entrance day.

"Oh, how could I forget that, maybe that is why Josiah was shocked to see me out," Irene started to mumble.

"Oh god, which means Alice went by herself...society is mean, they probably said stuff," Irene's head started to go downhill spiral.

"She came back in tears, my lady," Elle said with a stern tone to Irene.

"Where is Alice?"

Irene asked, "She is most likely in her room, my lady," Elle replied.

"Thank you," Irene said as she walked towards the door.

The long hallways in the mansion were always cold but bright with the windows shining light through on the shiny areas.

This mansion is beautiful, but it was called the ice palace for a reason.

Rumors went on, that there is a lonely ghost who roams these empty hallways at night, in the morning the hallways are brightened by the sun and surrounded by maids and knights.

"Good morning, young miss!"

They greeted Irene with warm and kind smiles.

Irene was still in her night grown with a small thin blanket was coverage, this was shameless in some way.

Irene's maids didn't give her any strange looks and the knights looked down on the ground and greeted her without looking at Irene.

Gentlemens.

Irene eventually made it to Alice's door, she knocked on it three times gently.

"Alice? It's me, Irene."

Irene waited for a response, but there was only silence.

Alice must be upset then...

"You have every reason to be upset, I am just going to leave you alone."

Irene said leaving until she heard the door creak open, "Come in," Alice said quietly.

Irene smiled and turned back, she knew Alice was eventually going to open the door for her. Irene had heard footsteps that were hesitating near the door.

"Please forgive my rudeness," Irene said as she walked into Alice's room, and then she saw Alice's face.

Irene's face turned sour, puffy eyes.

"Why were you crying? Is it because I didn't come with you?"

Irene said apologetically and as she walked toward Alice and touched her face, "You look kind of funny right now," Irene chuckled.

Alice stayed quiet.

Irene sighed and walked towards Alice's washroom.

Alice stayed put standing as she hear water running and then it was closed, footsteps were walking near her.