FERAL: chapter thirty

After the warriors left, Everest and I headed back to his house

After the warriors left, Everest and I headed back to his house. I tried everything I could come up with to take his mind off of Novak's leaving. I don't know how long we've been asleep, but I figured that we'd probably been knocked out for a while.

Standing up, I stretch before making my way to the kitchen. I move quietly in order to make sure I don't accidentally wake up Everest and open the fridge to grab a bottle of water.

Making my way back to living room where Everest still laid, I carefully stepped over his body and took a seat on the couch. I leaned back until my head was resting against it and stared up at the ceiling.

They should be arriving by now.

They should be at the lab and getting ready to fight.

They should be rescuing Gaius.

Almost there, Onyx.

Closing my eyes, I laid there in silence. By this this time tomorrow, he'll be away from that hellish place. Soon I'll be able to see him again- see his smile, his black hair, his chocolate brown eyes. Soon I'll be able to see my mate.

I opened my eyes and moved to readjust myself so I could lay on the couch, but stopped when pain overtook my body. A groan in pain escaped my lips, followed by a gasp.

"...Onyx, are you okay?" Everest asks in a groggy voice.

I tried to reply but the only thing that came out was a whimper. Everest sat up and turned to me before the sleep left his eyes and was replaced with worry.

"What's wrong?!" He asks.

I didn't know what was wrong. The pain had appeared out of nowhere.

Everest searched my body for a wound.

"There's nothing wrong with you," he tells me.

I lay there confused for a minute before it clicks in my head.

"Gaius," I manage to force out.

Realization smacks Everest in the face and he leaves the room before coming back with a wet rag.

"You're burning up. Just hold on," he says as he places the rag on my forehead.

The pain continues to scorch my body. Whines and Whimpers occasionally escape me ad I lay there waiting for it to fade. Everest stays by my side until I eventually pass out.

...

With a groan, I sit up and glance around the room. Everest is asleep beside me and I can see the sun starting to fade from the window.

The pain is mostly gone now, but It's left behind a painful reminder of what Gaius was going through.

I couldn't just sit around.