Chapter 15- Breaking Point

After barely surviving several more booby traps, Varian and I finally reach the room right below the royal vault. Seven large pillars circle the grand room, and a hatch that leads to the vault is placed in the middle of the ceiling.

"That's our way in," I say, pointing to the ceiling.

Varian frowns. "How are we going to get up there?

I slowly look around and notice a large Corona sun painted on the floor. In the middle were seven smaller pillars. "Seven pillars..." I mutter to myself.

"Like the seven kingdoms?" Varian suggests.

I shrug. "Maybe. But Corona hardly associates with the other kingdoms-unless you want to count the Contest of Crowns- it doesn't make sense." I pull one of the little pillars and it begins to move. "Can you help me turn this?!" I grunt.

Varian nods and runs over to join me. I smile with delight as the hatch in the ceiling opens and a ladder is revealed. "How do we get up there?" He asks.

I suddenly notice a bright green light shining behind me. I turn around and gasp. A large metal machine was standing there. "What the heck is that thing?!" I shout in fear.

Varian gazes at the machine in awe. "Fascinating...I believe this is an automation!" He looks at me with sparkling eyes. "A marvel of ancient technology, really. I've heard about them but to see one in person-"

I notice the automation raises its metal fist in the air, ready to crush Varian. "VARIAN, WATCH OUT!!" I shout, grabbing his hand and pulling him out of the way.

We hide behind one of the pillars and Varian grins at me. "Don't worry, (yn). I've got this." Varian reaches into his pocket and pulls out a couple of multi-colored vials as he runs towards the metal monster.

Varian chucks the vials at the automation causing huge explosions to erupt on the beast. "Way to go Var!" I cheer. Varian hits it with another explosion, and the automation falls back into one of the pillars. Cracks form in the pillar and I notice it's only moments away from crumbling onto Varian. I quickly run over to him and push him out of the way. I'm able to dodge the falling debris, but unfortunately, so is the monster.

The automation stands up and swings its arm at Varian, sending the boy flying across the room. I cringe as Varian smacks into a pillar and I darted over to him. "Are you okay?!"

Varian slowly sits up. "Despite the excruciating pain and the fact that I'm about to pass out, the science at work here is spellbinding!!" Varian exclaims with stars in his eyes.

I try to hold back a laugh as I help him up. "We need a plan if we're going to stop this thing," I say.

"Like what?"

I look around and an idea hits me. "I'll lead it in between those two pillars. Once I'm out of the way, use your alchemy to blow them both up. The force of both falling on it should be enough to take the automation out."

"Got it." Varian nods and darts away.

I wave at the automation to get its attention. "Hey, bolts-for-brains!!" I run over to it and dash in between its legs. "Over here!" I lead the metal monster towards Varian. Once I'm out of the way Varian sets off the explosions, causing the pillars to collapse onto the automation.

"Do you think it worked?" I nervously ask, not taking my eyes off the pile of rubble.

When nothing happens, Varian speaks up. "I think it's destroyed. Sad to see such a beautiful piece of science destroyed though..." He sighs.

I shoot the alchemist a glare.

"I was joking!" He quickly says, not making eye contact. "(yn), Look!" He points to the ladder, which has lowered down to the floor.