Chapter 2

After an hour of figuring out what I'm going to wear, which I think is completely unnecessary, I ended up with a pair of jeans and a 'go patriots' shirt and a matching cap with a pair of Adidas tennis shoes. I walk out to the weapons room. It has a nice set up with the weapons on one wall floor to ceiling, right of the doorway, and a bunch of targets on the opposite wall and the wall straight in front of the door is a paper explaining what everything is and does, for the new people. As much as I dislike Patriarch Skyfold, they keep well-stocked. There is an array of guns; pistols, rifles, handguns, miniguns that fit into the palm of my hand, machine guns, and up the line. There are also bows and arrows, crossbows, and all sorts of swords and blades and daggers. Vivian is throwing daggers when I walk in. She turns and throws one at a wall with targets along it and hits the bullseye. I'm not one bit surprised. She smiles to herself at her accuracy and I begin to examine the guns. She walks up to me.
"Hey, Keaton. What are you looking at?" She says flirtatiously.
"Not much just this Glock 19 9mm Compact Semi-Automatic Pistol." She gives me a blank look and I motion to the gun, she nods still not completely understanding but doesn't mention it.
"I saw you throw that knife, you're good," I say to change the topic. She blushes.
"Thanks." She says shyly.
"You're welcome! Anyone who throws that well has an awesome talent!"
(Aw Thanks!) she thinks.
"Thanks, I bet you're good too, at something."
"Thank you," there's an awkward pause before I ask, "Can I call you Vivi for short?"
(Oh yes!) She thinks pleadingly.
"Um, Sure, Why not?" She replies coolly. I wish I could control my voice like that. "And I'll call you Key because your powers are Key."
I smile, no one has given me a nickname before. I pick up the Glock to distract myself and point the gun at the target. I caulk the gun and pull the trigger and hit the bullseye easily. Vivian looks mildly impressed. She walks over and picks up another dagger and throws it at the same target as the first time splitting center.
(You just have to show me up don't you.) I think, annoyed.
"Yep!" She says as if I've spoken.
Great. Now my powers work! Oh, come on! I seriously need to know how to control them. I think hopefully to myself this time. I walk over to the daggers and set down my gun. I pick up a dagger, examining it.
"I've never thrown a knife before," I say as I turn towards an empty target.
"Oh really? I've been throwing knives since I was young,"
"What parent lets their kid throw knives freely?"
She blushes and looks down.
"My parents," she says with that glazed look.
"Sorry, I don't mean to use my powers. They are so hard to control."
"I know. They are hard to control for the first few days but you get used to them. Believe it or not no one knew where I was for the first few days because I was invisible and couldn't turn visible unless they pushed the button. So they thought I was doing it on purpose." Vivian says without the glazed look.
"I believe it" I sigh, "will you teach me to throw a dagger? I've always wanted to learn"
"Oh, sure!"
The first few tries I was so embarrassed because I didn't even hit the target, the knives bounced helplessly against the wall. About the twentieth try, I hit the target but the knife wasn't straight, it was pointed up a little bit. Vivian told me that meant it was over-rotating so I should try to throw it a tad bit softer. I did, and it worked! The knife was straight! Then Vivian told me to slow down. I guess I was getting excited because I kept throwing faster and faster. I did slow down and found that my aim was better when I was slower. I should've known that. I'm a great sniper.
"Thanks for showing me how to do this. It's honestly fun," I say.
(Anything for you!) Vivian thinks smitten.
"Of course! Anything for a friend," She says,
I feel myself blushing. I try to hide it and turn back to my gun that is still sitting where I set it.
"Will you teach me to shoot a gun, I never learned properly,"
I know she's goading me but I don't care. "Sure!" I show her how to use it; where the safety is, how to caulk it, aim -most important- and shoot. She hits the bullseye on her first try.
(Hit the bullseye the first time.) I think.
"I must have a good teacher." She says,
I feel myself blushing again but I don't care this time.
I need to learn to control my powers. I think.
Mr. Black walks in and sees us training, again and says. "Nice to see you getting so well acquainted, but it's time for your mission."
So we grab our weapons of choice and walk out, mine being a sniper rifle for long-range, and Vivian the dagger. As we walk by Mr. Black he presses the button and I don't realize until I hear Vivian's shrill scream and a couple of frantic thoughts. I quickly grab my head and hopefully look as if I'm in pain, a lot of pain. I start breathing hard to help the effect and Vivian finally stops screaming. I slow my breathing and ease my hands from my head glaring daggers at Mr. Black. He seems mildly amused and shoves us out the door. We walk to the car and a driver takes us to our "mission." We are done within a few minutes and make a grand escape of ditching the gun and gloves and hopping back into the car virtually unnoticed. And that was the end of that.

(1021 words)

It's so cringe.