Chapter 1

Emory

I woke up in my cell like every other morning of my miserable existence and got ready for another day of torture.

The guards let me out and I scurried to the bathroom to get ready. I looked in the mirror at my thin frame and sighed. I looked even uglier than yesterday. My golden blonde hair was flat and dull, my green eyes were more brown, and my pale skin was littered with scars and bruises. I looked away from the mirror as the sight of myself became too much.

I quickly put on the gray uniform Alpha Dustin had me wear and tied back my hair before scurrying down to the kitchen. The clock read 8:30 which meant I had only a half hour to get food on the table for Alpha Dustin and his inner circle. Eggs and bacon would have to do. I just hoped I could get it all ready in time.

I cooked faster than I ever had before and put the plates on a tray. I carried it into the dining room to see all of the seats already occupied. Crap.

"Oh Emory, when will you learn."

Alpha Dustin shook his head in disappointment and ushered me over to him. He shoved his watch in my face which read 9:02. I was late.

I knelt down like he expected and tried to keep my small frame from shaking in his presence. I waited for my punishment to come, but it never did and that was even worse. Alpha knew what he was doing. He was torturing me with my own fear.

Only after everyone had finished their meals was I allowed up from my submissive position on the floor. I cleared the table as quickly as possible and rushed into the kitchen to clean the dishes.

My mind was racing with all sorts of thoughts while I did my chores. When was Alpha going to come? He would never let me off that easily. I wished he would just come and get it over with already before I had a full blown panic attack.

What would he do to me this time? Last time I messed up, I was whipped and then denied food for a week. I'd only just earned the privilege back yesterday and I really didn't want to lose it again.

On that thought, I ate a piece of leftover bacon since no one was looking. It would just go in the trash anyways so what harm would it be for me to have a little bit?

"Oh Emory."

A shudder ran through my body at the voice of our Beta. Tony was even more cruel than Alpha Dustin; if that was even possible. Alpha drew the line at beating, Tony took it a step further than that. He didn't have a mate, unlike Alpha Dustin, so he used me as a stand in. I'd gotten used to it and learned to numb myself when he'd come to my cell, but the fear ate away at me every time he was near.

"Come over here Sweetling," he cooed.

When I didn't move, he was at my throat in a second. His hand clenched around my throat tightly, his claws poking into my skin enough to draw blood.

I couldn't get any air down with how tight he was holding me and my vision was starting to blur. Maybe this is it. Maybe the end is finally coming.

My hope was crushed when Tony threw me down to the floor.

"You will obey your Beta," he growled and grabbed me by the hair.

Tony dragged me the familiar path to the dungeon I called home. Pack members made sure not to look my way so as not to anger Beta Tony. As much as I tried not to, I whimpered the whole way as my scalp burned and my bones screamed out. Beta Tony found some sick satisfaction in this.

I knew what was coming when Tony threw me to my mattress in the corner. At the sound of a belt buckle, I numbed myself to the world around me and didn't stop the tears that rolled down my cheeks.