Prologue

Nine years earlier

"AND YOU SHOULD never trust them," the old woman said, rocking back and forth in her crooked chair. "They are nothing but beasts walking as men, evil they are, pure evil..."

A quilt was draped across the old woman's lap even though the room she sat in was a furnace, perspiration gathering above her frowned lips and high arched brow. Her cheeks and extra skin beneath her chin wobbled, chapped lips pressing together constantly as if she was chewing on food.

The young child that sat at her feet, head tilted to the side, confusion flooding their large eyes.

"But, grandma... they aren't evil," The child said in defense.

The old woman stopped rocking, eyes snapping to the child's, lips pressing tight.

"You know nothing," she spat, droplets of spittle flying from between her lips. "They are evil and have trampled on us for hundreds of years. But, their time will come... oh, yes it will..."

The old woman's eyes drifted to the blank white chipped wall, humming softly, and began to rock again. The young child climbed to their feet, patting the knee of their grandmother, and walked out of the four-walled room with the words from the older woman following behind.

"Their time will come... oh, yes it will..."

__________

Thanks for Reading!

The starter gun has been shot, and I'm off!