destruction

I the world is on fire I 

I've never been afraid of death. It feels like an inevitable thing. An unavoidable fact of living. Becoming something dark and uncontrollable in a state that hovers between life and death is another story. I would much rather cease to exist than cause terror for everyone who is forced to be near the shell of me that contains the madness. 

Klaus leaves the room fast, his jacket nearly getting caught in the door behind him as he hastens to leave. Alison and Diego leave more reluctantly and Luther looks like he needs a longer explanation than the one Five gave. He strides out eventually. Shuts the door tight behind him. I hear his footsteps stop like he's considering locking the two of us in here. 

"Y/N." Five turns to me, his eyes trained on mine. Inhales. "This makes sense." He chews on the inside of his cheek. "I think I know what causes the apocolapse." He pauses. "It's you." 

I blink. "Oh." Dread seeps into my stomach. It's my lack of control over my own powers. The own manifestation of my being that kills me inside. It fills me with regret, remorse, and a heavy stone that sinks into my chest and stays there. Expands. Tries to choke me from the inside. 

I sit down on the chair. Stare at the desk, at my new, slightly larger hands that don't quite feel right on my body. Five sits on the desk across from me, feet barely touching the ground. 

He senses my emotions, I think. Folds his hands and swallows. His voice is quieter when he continues. 

"You were there with me in the apocalypse, you know," Five says softly. "You were the only one left." He sighs. "I'm sorry I lied." 

"I thought everyone was dead," Is all I can think to say. And what? Why? Why didn't you tell me? What—

"Nope," his tongue clicks. "It was horrible. The destruction," He closes his mouth and shakes his head. "But—-it wasn't your fault." 

I can't help but roll my eyes. "Thanks for the attempt to reassure me, Five, but I'm pretty sure that if I destroy the whole world, it's my fault." 

Five shakes his head again. "No, no. I'm not doing that," His tone gets slightly sour. "You doubt me too much, Y/N. It was something different than just your powers. Trust me, I've seen your powers, and what kind of damage it causes. This was....something more than that." 

"I don't follow." 

"Your powers affect people, right?" It wasn't a question. Purely rhetorical. "But all the buildings were destroyed—on fire, and everyone was burned to a crisp. Tell me if I'm wrong, but your powers don't set buildings on fire." 

He hops off the desk and steps forward. Leans down towards me. "Y/N, I probably should've mentioned that though you probably did some destruction—you weren't the force of the cause of the end of the world." 

"Great," I smile sardonically. "So I just assist with destroying the world. That's good to know." 

"Is anyone there?" A voice yells. "Vanya! Ben! Y/N!" 

I sit up in the wreckage. Stare at my hands. Hear the familiar voice of the person I thought was gone forever. 

"Five?" I can barely breathe. My throat feels choked and my hands are covered in soot. There are bodies all around me, most of them completely unrecognizable. The world is on fire. Flames that surround the buildings are mostly extinguished but everything is smoking. 

The bodies of my family lay around me in nearly a perfect semi circle. Vanya is laying beside me. 

I stand up. Follow the voice. 

"FIVE!" My voice breaks as I run towards him. Grab him by the shoulders and hug him tightly. He smells familiar. Like cologne and mint. He smells like home. 

Five pulls back for a second to look at me. 

"Where the hell were you?" I consider smacking him across the face, but as it seems, we're the only two people left. 

I can barely recall what led up to the apocolapse. I can barely remember my own thoughts—or collect any knowledge from the past events. 

"What happened?" Five coughs. "What causes this?" 

My voice is small when I answer in one name. "Vanya." 

The slow burn is taking forever, but we're leading up to something big!