Matthew v. Trent: (Part 1/3: "Vigilante")

"Matt?" Trent pleaded, banging on the door. I had passed out soon after stitching the wound. "Matt? Are you in there?" He continued. I groaned and stood up, already thinking of a lie. "Ma-" I opened the door. "Woah. What the hell happened to you?"
My face was all cut up. "Break in. Some lowlife who must've wanted my shit."
"Are we pressing charges?" He inquired, stepping inside. "There's no evidence, plus court is expensive and messy." I assured.
"It's too bad. I'd love to get whatever son of a bitch did this."
I chuckled lightly, as I walked towards the kitchen to get cleaning supplies for the mess. Trent stepped into the living room, where he found furniture tipped over, broken glass, and blood everywhere. "Woah. How did you fend yourself off against this guy? He seems like some bad fuckin news, Matt."
"I got lucky, I guess."
"Yeah. Guess so.."
I grabbed some paper towels and ran it under hot water, and then walked over towards where there was blood.
"Y'know, maybe you can take over your family's law firm business. Then you're your own lawyer, not to mention the fact that you've got a source of income for when your mom passes." Trent offered.
"Take over? With what degree?"
"Technically, you don't need one."
"You kinda do if you wanna run it well." I testified.
"Run it well? Who cares, people can do that for you and you'd get the money."
I laughed, picking up the pieces of wood scattered across the room.
"I'm serious, man! You and me, we'd be the two amigos. It'd be great. Plus, I've been there before, some of the women there are totally your type."
I scoffed. "Maybe."
"Hell yeah, that's the spirit." He exclaimed.
"I said maybe."
"Yup, and that's a win in my book. Means you're open to it."
I considered the idea. It wasn't terrible. "So, are you in?"
"T, it's been twenty seconds since you just asked."
"Yeah, I know. Is that a yes?"
I sighed. "Yeah, why not." I affirmed.
"Hell yeah!" He said, reaching his hand up for a high five. "Oh, right."
"Huh?" I asked.
"Nothing, I was just- nevermind."
Nobody talked for a couple seconds. Then Trent spoke up again. "So how'd all this happen anyways? I thought you locked your doors."
"I, uh.. well, yeah. He uh just climbed through a window." I replied back, stumbling over my words awkwardly.
"Window? Which one?"
"Oh, well, I don't remember- everything's kinda fuzzy."
I could tell by his heartbeat he wasn't buying it. "Matt, cmon man. I'm your best bud. Just tell me what the hell really happened."
I sighed deeply, and stood in silence, contemplating my options. There was no choice left. "Alright, fine." I said. "Follow me," and then I motioned towards my closet. "Are you sure?" I warned.
"I just wanna know the truth, Matt. All I want is my best friend back."
I nodded, and then opened up the closet, revealing my suit. "What the hell am I staring at?" He asked. I picked it up, and his eyes went wide as he realized what it meant. "I'm the Vigilante."