Chapter 2 - A Familiar Face

"That'll be $29.99," Millie smiled as she spoke. Her voice was deep and masculine—estrogen didn't change her voice, and she was still just starting the process of voice training. The customer, a middle aged man, stared at her in confusion.

"Are you a man or a woman?" he questioned. Dysphoria flooded over Millie. 

"I-uh..." she stuttered, flustered.

"I don't really think that's any of your business," spoke a woman waiting in line after the man. 

Millie looked at the stranger gratefully. She had long, dirty blonde dreadlocks and almost-amber eyes. She was wearing a pastel blue crop top and black cargo pants.

"Thank you," Millie mouthed, as the man grunted, swiped his credit card and walked off. The woman stepped up and placed some clothes on the counter. They were kid's clothes, a pair of jeans and a couple floral tops. "For your daughter?" Millie assumed.

"For my niece, actually." she replied. Millie blushed, embarrassed. "You look familiar." she noted, gesturing to Millie's general direction. Millie looked into her eyes. Something about this stranger was pulling at old memories.

"Damian?" the woman questioned. Millie winced at her deadname, but she nodded. "I'm guessing it's probably not Damian anymore, is it?" Millie smiled. 

"It's Millie now. Where do you recognise me from?" she questioned, eager to move on from the topic and curious about who this stranger was.

"Primary school! Don't you remember? I was your best friend, Sasha."

Memories flashed in front of Millie's eyes. She remembered how much fun she and Sasha had together, and how sad they were when they went to separate intermediates and lost contact with each other.

"Sasha! I can't believe it's you! You've changed so much." Millie's smile grew wider.

"You realise how different you look now compared to me," Sasha chuckled. She took a notepad and a pen out of her pocket. She began writing down her phone number. "I just moved here today, so I'm still exploring the area. Maybe you could show me all the best places some time?" She ripped off the note and put it on the counter. 

An idea came to Millie's head. "Actually, there's a party happening tonight, my friends will be there. It's gonna be great, you should definitely come."

Sasha's eyes widened. "Yes! Text me the details." she paid and walked out the door. 

An older woman walked up to the checkout with a pissed look on her face. "It's about time, now let me buy my bloody clothes!"