Nightmares (Gender neutral reader)

Hey guys, back from the break! My partner is doing much better now! Requested by wasabi imo hope you enjoy!!

Y/N POV
It's been a few months since I've started working at the gas station, and I've been having terrible nightmares. Most nights I'm afraid to fall asleep in fear of what I might wake up to. I've developed insomnia due to a poor sleep schedule. I don't know how much longer I can take it.

I locked the gas station door after my shift was over, ready to start heading home. I turned around when suddenly, a familiar black-haired man was staring me down. "Ah! Jeez John, don't scare me like that!" I exclaimed. John smiled. "Sorry Y/N. I was just wondering if I could hang out at your place!" He asked. I thought about it for a moment. It has been a while since we've hung out. "Alright. We can ride the train home together." I replied.

It was a short ride to my apartment, but it was somewhat enjoyable. We walked up to my apartment door, and I unlocked it. We stepped inside, and I sat down on the couch. John sat next to me. We sat in silence for a moment before I spoke up. "So uh, what do you want to do?" I asked. "We should watch TV!" He answered. I wasn't surprised. He always wanted to watch TV when we hung out. I'm never opposed to the idea, though.

I turned the TV on, and we watched it for a while. I started to feel a bit tired after a bit. I was afraid to fall asleep, especially with John right next to me. I didn't want him to be worried about me. It was getting harder to keep my eyes open. My vision started to blur, and eventually I could feel myself passing out.

John Doe POV
I looked over to Y/N, to find their head resting on my shoulder. They seemed to be asleep. I layed down, letting them rest on my chest instead. They look so adorable!

We stayed like this for what felt like hours. I want this moment to last forever! I wrapped my arm around them, using my other hand to play with their hair.

Another hour passes, and I start to feel tired as well. Until suddenly, Y/N was tossing and turning a bit. I didn't think much of it at first. After a few more minutes, they woke up quite abruptly. They were hyperventilating a ton, and they had a panicked look on their face.

"Y/N, are you okay?" I worriedly asked. They looked at me for a moment, tears forming in the corners of their eyes. Y/N quietly sobbed into my shoulder. I didn't know what was going on with them, but I wasn't about to ask them about it right away. They needed time to let it out.

Y/N POV
I had another nightmare. I thought I'd finally be able to sleep peacefully, but no. Another nightmare. Now I'm crying on John's shoulder. I don't understand why I have to cause problems for people around me. Why do I have to be such a burden? I don't want him to worry about me.

He rubbed my back as I continued to cry. My whole body was shaking uncontrollably. After a few minutes, I finally stopped crying. Silence filled the room. "Are you okay?" John asked again. I explained the nightmare I had, and my reoccurring nightmares to him through tears. He held me tighter than before.

"Why didn't you tell me sooner? You know I'm always here for you Y/N!" He said, smiling. I sighed. "I don't want you to worry about me. That's why I haven't had you over as much. If I fall asleep while you're over and have a nightmare, I'll just make you worry." I explained. "It doesn't feel right when people worry about me. I'm not an important person to worry about." I could feel a tear running down my cheek. John sat me upright, looking into my eyes.

"Y/N, you are the most important person in the world to me. Of course I'm going to worry about you! I love you!" He exclaimed. John held my hand. "Please don't think so low of yourself Y/N. You're absolutely amazing and you deserve the world. I love you so much Y/N!" He leaned in to kiss my cheek. My face became quite red. I hugged him tightly, tears of joy streaming down my face.

"Thank you John. You don't know how much that means to me." I said, shakily. He kissed my cheek again. "It's no problem, really! I truly love you Y/N." He replied. I smiled. Now I don't feel bad anymore. He really does care about me. I kiss him for a few seconds before pulling away, his face redder than mine. "I love you too John."

Hi I'm back! Sorry if this one kinda sucks but ehh ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Also I didn't anticipate to be gone this long oh wow 😟 But anyway, feel free to suggest more oneshots!! xx

Wordcount: 867