Shinichiro // Hereafter

There are three kinds of souls. one, the not so pure souls, they cannot enter heaven. two the pure souls that will instantly get reincarnated as soon as they step into the light and three the guardian angels... these are the good souls who died with unfinished business or sudden deaths.

It was all of a sudden, Shinichiro's death. He can still remember what happened that day like it was yesterday. He was lying on his bed with his heart pounding so fast, that he couldn't sleep. In his hand, he was looking at a simple yet beautiful engagement ring. He was planning to propose to his high school sweetheart the next day then, out of the blue, his motor shop got robbed which ended up taking his life.

I will stay by your side forever... It was his broken promise to her.

"We will meet again soon, I promise." He whispers as he watches the humans below. His goal is to be reincarnated as fast as he can and find y/n in their next life... This time, he wants to fulfill his promise.

"Shinichiro-kun," A familiar voice said.

"Yes! Present!" Shinichiro quickly stood up and playfully salute to the man who called him.

"Full of energy as always," Hiro said while adjusting his glasses. "Congratulations on your last mission, Shinichiro. You've done it perfectly."

"Well, 50-years of experience taught me that," Shinichiro replied while scratching the back of his head.

"We are very grateful for your hard work. This will be the 10,000th mission, the last one before you claim your reward. You even beat one of our best angels. She finished her mission in 70 years."

"The angel you gave to my brother."

"Yeah."

Shinichiro smiled. He has the privilege to watch over them and witness how Mikey's life turned around for the better. Having a family... a kid of his own who by the way looks exactly like his uncle Shin and now, living in a happy household. He just wishes that Emma will experience the same happiness when she gets reincarnated.

"I have a goal that's why I wanted to finish the mission as soon as possible."

"We are aware of that," Hiro said and checked his files. "For your last mission, you are not guiding any soul to take different paths but instead, you're retrieving one."

"Retrieve?"

"Yes. A 72-year-old blind woman. Never been married, no kids. She is living alone and wishes to pass with someone beside her."

"So... My mission is to accompany her until her time comes?"

"Yes, that's correct. Comfort her in her last days then guide her soul to the gate."

"Got it! I'm on it Hiro-san. I'll be getting my reward."

"059..." Shinichiro mumbled as he looked at the house number written in the files that he was holding. "I'm here." He took a deep breath before pressing the doorbell. After a couple of minutes, a lady wearing a long dress, holding a white cane came out of her front door.

"Who's that?"

"Hi! I'm Shin—Shintarou from Heaven's gate caring center for seniors?"

"Who sent you?"

"Your brother?"

"Go away, I don't need you. I already told them that I can take care of myself. I may be blind but I can still do things."

"Well, Isn't it nice to have some company for once in a while? If you don't want me to help you with stuff I can stay for a talk."

"I don't need no one." The old lady turned her back and walked inside the door while tapping his white cane on the floor.