Chapter 17 A Looming Shadow

No one's POV

Shea: Woohoo! Hell yeah!

Steiff and Brise thundered westward, the Reisen Gorge falling off steeply to their left, while the vast green plains rolled by to their right. Though Brise was driving steadily down the highway, Steiff's driver was clearly enjoying herself as she veered wildly from the rocky cliffside to the grassy plains.

Hajime: Shea's sure in a good mood. She sounds like one of those bikers you see in movies.

Yue: Hmm... I kind of want to try driving it too.

Sora and Hajime watched Shea drive with an amused expression on his face. Hajime was driving Brise with one hand, his other arm hanging out the window. Shea was the only person not sitting inside Brise with him. At her insistence, Sora had let her drive Steiff instead.

 At her insistence, Sora had let her drive Steiff instead

Shea: Butt up! Rabbit time!

She'd been more taken with the motorcycle, as it allowed her to feel the wind on her face as she drove, but with how much their party had grown, Hajime had ended up using Brise for transport more often than not.

She could have stuck her head out of Brise's window as they'd drove, but it wouldn't really have been the same. And because Aishia always took the seat next to Sora, she couldn't stick to him like before either. After much insistence, Sora had finally caved and agreed to teach Shea how to drive Steiff.

Since it was operated via mana manipulation, it wasn't actually that hard to master. Shea didn't even have to move the handlebars manually if she didn't want to, as it could all be done magically. Since Shea could control her mana directly too, learning how to drive had been a piece of cake. And once she'd mastered driving, she'd fallen in love with the motorbike.

Even now she was driving all over the place, drifting, popping wheelies, jackknifing, and generally doing crazy stunts that would have put a pro stuntman to shame.

Since both acceleration and braking were controlled magically, it was a lot easier to pull stunts with Steiff than a normal motorcycle. That being said, Shea's driving skill had far surpassed Sora's at this point. He didn't particularly mind that she'd become a better driver than him. What he did mind was that now that her skills had improved she took every opportunity to show off and rub it in his face. Seeing her wiggling her butt up and down annoyed both Sora and Hajime.

Sora: Ram her!

Hajime: With pleasure!

As Hajime attempted to ram her, Shea just drove around them, annoying them even more. Heedless of the inner turmoil within Sora's heart, Myu clambered up onto Yue's knees and stared at him, eyes glittering with excitement. She pointed at Shea, who was currently doing a handstand on the handlebars.

Myu: Papa! Myu wants to do that, too!

Sora: There's no way we're letting you do that.

Myu: Aww! But I wanna! I wanna ride it!