Chapter 4 - Kylie

Wyld Times, Episode 17

"Today, we're checking out a nature park in Kenya to meet a bloody strange animal pair." Bruce shakes his head good-naturedly as he, Kylie and Michelle cross a grassy enclosure. The three of them wear their standard outfits of cargo shorts and fitted shirts, their tanned skin glistening in the African sun.

Bruce gestures towards a marshy pool in the corner of the enclosure. "Meet Owen the baby hippo, and his mum, Mzee."

The little hippo appears in stages: a glistening shape in the water that slowly plods out onto the muddy bank. He's pink and grey, simultaneously cute and off-putting.

Kylie's eyes grow wide with fear. "Wait – where's his mum? Is she in here? Adult hippos are super dangerous!"

"You're right," cackles Bruce. "Adult female hippos can weigh over two tons and are among the most dangerous and aggressive of all mammals – except maybe Shell when she's hungry."

Michelle wraps an arm around Kylie. "There's no mama hippos in here," she soothes. "Owen's mum is a different species - a bit slower and much sweeter."

Owen shakes his bulbous head and trots over to a round shape in the grass the size of a coffee table. "That's a giant Aldabran tortoise!" says Kylie in delight.

"Owen was found stranded on a reef after a tsunami," explains Michelle, leading the little girl by the hand. They approach the animals and crouch down for a better look. "Owen was released here at the nature park and he immediately latched onto Mzee, a 130 year old male tortoise. Mzee has adopted Owen as his baby and they spend all their time together."

"So cool!" says Kylie, her eyes bright.

Michelle gives Kylie a squeeze around the shoulders and says lovingly, "Isn't nature amazing? Even if you lose your family, you can still find another one."

Bruce clomps up behind them in his giant boots. "But nothing beats biology. I bet no normal hippos want to end up like these two weirdos, ay? Poor Owen is probably the laughing stock of the watering hole!"

Kylie brushes her dark hair away from her face. "I think it's really cool. Owen was alone and now he has a family. Who cares what anyone else thinks?"

She smiles shyly up at Michelle, their faces framed against the brilliant blue of the Kenyan sky.

I open the gate to the dolphin pools and usher the group through. "Okay, this way."

The gaggle of kids obediently follow their carer in a neat row, eyes wide and silent. As I lead them along the bank of the lagoon, I try to see the area through their fresh eyes: the pool has been designed to appear as natural as possible, with sandy shores surrounded by leafy palm trees. It looks like a tropical island postcard.

I bring the group down onto a floating pontoon and the wide fiberglass platform bobs up and down gently, causing several kids to gasp.

"It's okay," I say, smiling encouragingly. "It won't sink. And look! These guys are ready for breakfast!"

Four glossy grey shapes zip across the wide lagoon, their streamlined heads barely leaving a ripple in the surface of the crystal clear waters. As they pop up beside the pontoon, I say, "Good morning, gang! How are we feeling today?"

I gesture towards the dolphins with my pointer fingers extended, as if I'm conducting an orchestra; on cue, the animals begin to vocalise, a series of surprisingly loud squeaks and clicks. The kids laugh and I toss each dolphin a fish from the metal pouch hanging from my belt.