Chapter 4

Sunvale was tucked away behind the mountains to the west of Keen. We had crested the final hill in the mountain pass Owen led us through to see the marvelous city bursting with life below us in the valley.  The sun was setting over the town on the horizon casting the large castle in a golden glow. I understood why it had been named Sunvale. Owen seemed to be relieved to be home again. The Droustons had held Sunvale for as long as I could remember, which probably wasn't too long because I hated and skipped a lot of my history lessons.

We made our way through the town, people calling out to Owen as if he were the Earl himself. He smiled and waved, but kept his pace quick as we reached the gate leading into the castle courtyards. One of the Guards took my horse and my things, taking them to a room they had reserved for guests. I thanked him and turned back to Owen who was giving the other instructions as to what to do with my things. "Come on Sapphire, we just have enough time to change for dinner."

I followed one of the pages to a guest room where my things were being placed. A handmaiden came in and gave me a spare dress she had that would be suitable for dinner. She pinned my hair back into an elegant little knot at the base of my neck.

I followed her to a room a few halls over as she told me to wait there for Owen. She dipped into a curtsy and left before I could even thank her. A few minutes later, Owen stepped out dressed in fresh clothing. He looked me over and nodded, offering me his arm to escort me to dinner. We went through a series of hallways and a pair of large oak doors as he led me down a few halls to a smaller dining room that was reserved for the family to use regularly I assumed. When I entered, Two men I assumed to be Owen's brother and father stood, bowing to me. "Your Highness." I nodded to them, dipping into a small curtsy as Owen pulled out my chair for me. I sat and so did they.

Earl Drouston had the same sandy hair as Owen, but his eyes were a warm honey brown. He smiled warmly at me and waved his hand to the other man sitting next to his wife. "Your Highness, may I introduce my eldest son, Jacob, and my wife, Gloria." I smiled and dipped my head.

"It's an honor to make your acquaintance, my lord, my lady." Lady Drouston looked up from her hands and smiled at me. I saw where Owen had gotten his forest green eyes. This woman had milky green eyes that anyone could get lost in for days with her pale blonde hair that seemed to shine even in the dim candlelight.

Jacob looked more like his father than Owen did. He had his mother's pale blonde hair and his father's honey brown eyes. He wasn't hard to look at either, but he seemed cold towards me. I had expected that much from him. On our way here, Owen had told me that his family's approval would help gain the other noble's support. He had said his father wouldn't be too hard to win over, but his mother and Jacob were going to be wary of someone from the castle. He didn't let on to why, and I didn't ask.

"Can't say the same, Your Highness." Jacob quipped. Owen cleared his throat, shooting him a look.

"How can you be so rude to your future Queen?" he challenged. His father choked on the wine he was drinking.

"My dear boy! Her brother is King!" he paused considering the idea for a moment. "Has he taken ill your Highness?" Before I could open my mouth Owen jumped to my defense. He had warned me that it would be better if he handled his family over me. I wasn't sure, but I let him do the talking, trusting him on this.

"She has agreed to help us. There isn't a need to play coy. She's on our side."

Jacob clenched his fists on the arms of his chair. "Is that why a bounty has been placed on your head? Do you know how many royal knights have been through here trying to find you?" Owen frowned at him.

"You know that was not my intention," he growled.

Jacob slammed his fist down on the table. "It's never your intention, just like it was never your intention to get her killed!"